PIA Caraga condemns allegations to PA on ALCADEV leader killing
By Venus L. Garcia
BUTUAN CITY, Sept. 16 (PIA) – The Philippine Information Agency (PIA) Caraga through its regional director Abner M. Caga expressed profound condemnation on the accusations against Philippine Army (PA) as allegedly the ones who have the influence and hands on the ruthless killings of Emerito Samarca, executive director, Alternative Learning Center for Agricultural Development (ALCADEV); Dionel Campos, chair, Malahutayong Pakigbisug alang sa Sumusunod (Mapasu); and Aurello Sinzo, a civilian.
“Do not be misled by these intentionally deceptive judgment and accusations thrown against our government’s Army forces regarding the recent killing incident that brought controversial issue. Once and for all, let’s be objective in rallying ourselves on the side of PA whose mission is necessary for the effective prosecution of the perpetrators,” underscored Caga.
He also said that those who transgress moral and civil law must be accountable for of their unlawful acts. “I encourage our partner agencies and all other local government sectors to be one with us during this crucial times to support the Army in probing of the case and eventually bring justice of the matter from the court,” added Caga.
Earlier on Monday, Philippine National Police (PNP) Surigao del Sur provincial director P/SSupt Narciso Verdadero said charges of multiple murder, arson, grave coercions, robbery, and grave threats had been filed with the Provincial Prosecutor’s Office in Lianga against three suspects who were allegedly behind the killings of the victims.
Identified and named in the charge sheets were siblings Bobby and Loloy Tejero, Garito Layno, and 20 John Does believed to be members of “Bagani Forces.”
It was also learned that 4th Infantry Division (4ID) commander MGen. Oscar Lactao has initiated a consultative meeting with the provincial government of Surigao del Sur, religious groups, and lumad leaders on Saturday, September 11 in order to gather direct official statements from these different sectors and yield impartiality on the case.
Civil Military Operations (CMO) Battalion Commander and executive director of the 4th Infantry Division’s advance command post Lt. Col. Rey Pasco likewise put forth in giving credence to the PA in the prompt and sustained efforts to institute and carry on legal proceedings against the culprits.
“PA is constantly performing our functions in accordance with our specified objectives including the protection of our fellow citizens, the attainment of peace in our community, thus, I plead for your continued support in order to put an end on these opposing forces,” Pasco said. (PIA-Caraga)
DOH-Caraga to celebrate World Rabies Day
By Daisy Jane M. Apit
BUTUAN CITY, Sept. 16 (PIA) – In creating a wider awareness about rabies, the Department of Health (DOH) - Caraga regional office will join in the celebration of the World Rabies Day on Sept. 28, 2015.
With the theme “End Rabies Together,” the celebration aims to highlight the importance of worldwide engagement to prevent if not to totally eliminate Rabies.
“Many countries including the Philippines in the Southeast Asian Region have embarked on eliminating rabies through elimination campaigns, management of dog bites, mass dog vaccination and increased of vaccines. As one with the global community, we extend and maintain our efforts to the awareness and management of this viral disease,” DOH-Caraga regional director Jose R. Llacuna, Jr. said.
According to DOH Caraga rabies program coordinator Niel Nitud, rabies cases in the region are continuously monitored. "People should know that the best cost-effective strategy for preventing rabies in people is the vaccination of dogs," Nituda said. Rabies is an infectious viral disease, which is generally fatal after the onset of clinical signs, it was learned. It affects domestic and wild animals especially dogs, and is spread to people through their bites or scratches, usually via saliva. However, it is a vaccine preventable disease.
Nituda reported that last year, the municipality of Socorro in Surigao del Norte was already declared rabies-free. “Hopefully, October this year Dinagat Islands and next year Siargao will be confirmed as rabies-free,” Nituda added.
To attain a rabies-free region, Nituda also emphasized that there should be a multi-stakeholder engagement. “If we work together as a team, we can do it," he said. (DJA/PIA-Caraga)
SurSur CSC all set to spearhead 115th Philippine Civil Service anniversary celebration
By Greg Tataro, Jr.
TANDAG CITY, Surigao del Sur, Sept. 16 (PIA) – The Civil Service Commission (CSC) field office here is now set to spearhead the activities highlighting the 115th Philippine Civil Service anniversary celebration at the city gymnasium on Friday, September 18.
With the theme “Kayang Kaya Mo, Lingkod Bayani!,” the celebration, which is split into five parts, includes the Thanksgiving Mass at the city gymnasium at 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.; Renewal of Pledge as Public Servants with the recitation of “Panunumpa ng Lingkod Bayan”; Symbolic Flying Away of 115th PCSA Balloons; Motorcade; and, lastly, the Social Responsibility dubbed as “IGSOON KO TULUBAGON KO,” which is a special fund-raising project encouraging government employees to contribute a minimum of P10 financial assistance to the evacuees taking shelter at Surigao del Sur Sports Center.
For this, an emergency meeting with the officers of the Council of Human Resource Managers, Inc. (CHRMI) here was called by no less than Ruth Beniga, CSC provincial director, at the conference room of the Provincial Governor’s Office (PGO) on September 9 to agree upon parallel activities “to be conducted within Tandag City with inter-agency participation.”
It was pointed out that since September 19, the 115th founding anniversary of the Philippine Civil Service, happens to fall on a Saturday, it was decided to hold the celebration a day ahead.
Also, an agency-initiated “Family Day” for the last week of September, being the civil service month celebration, was also brought up during the meeting, it was learned.
Since September 1, the compliance for a “100 percent display of Anniversary Banner in all government offices’ facade” had signaled the beginning of the month-long celebration of the Philippine Civil Service here. (Radyo ng Bayan-Tandag/PIA-Surigao del Sur)
Claver's CRM-tourism center groundbreaking held
By John Glenn A. Platil
SURIGAO CITY, Surigao del Norte, Sept. 16 (PIA) – Climate Change Commission secretary Lucille Sering and governor Sol Matugas led the groundbreaking ceremony of the Coastal Resource Management (CRM) and Tourism Center at the old tourist assistance ground on Sept. 7 in Brgy. Hayangabon, Claver.
It was learned that the building will primarily serve the tourists and visitors who want tchief o travel to Siargao Island through the nautical highway, which will soon be operational.
Provincial Tourism In-charge Arturo Cruje said the P5 million-building was funded by Taganito HPAL Nickel Corporation, a mining firm based in Claver. "The provincial government will help operate the CRM and Tourism Center together with the barangay administration and the municipal government of Claver," said Cruje.
Right after the groundbreaking ceremony, a memorandum of agreement (MOA) signing at the barangay hall followed in the presence of Taganito HPAL Nickel Corporation plant manager Munekazu Kawata and Governor Matugas, who were the key players.
Governor Matugas said that the coastal corridor in Hayangabon will be the focus of the provincial leadership in line with 'Marajaw Turismo' (good tourism), which means that Claver will emerge as a vibrant industrial tourism hub.
Claver mayor Eddie Gokiangkee and barangay chairman Rito Placencia expressed their wholehearted support to the said endeavor elaborated on the project profile. (SDR/PGO-SdN/PIA-Surigao del Norte)
ACE prexy backs army’s security operations in SurSur
BUTUAN CITY, Sept. 16 (PIA) - A top official of the Association of Caraga Executives (ACE) expressed full support to the Philippine Army’s security operations to neutralize rebel threat and ensure peace and development in the province of Surigao del Sur.
ACE president and Department of Budget and Management (DBM) Caraga regional director Achilles Gerard C. Bravo said that the relentless military activity as well as the community-based peace and development efforts in the area in partnership with various stakeholders has already yielded positive results in the community.
He cited the recently held peace caravan which was succesfully conducted in Lianga and Marihatag towns in Surigao del Sur spearheaded by ACE member agencies in close coordination with the provincial government of Surigao del Sur and 4th Infantry “Diamond” Division (4ID).
Meantime, Bravo also urged the military to pursue the arrest of the perpetrators who were allegedly behind the killings of Emerito Samarca, executive director, Alternative Learning Center for Agricultural Development (ALCADEV); Dionel Campos, chair, Malahutayong Pakigbisug alang sa Sumusunod (Mapasu); and Aurello Sinzo, a civilian, last September 1 in Lianga.
“I urge our friendly forces to pursue with vigor the arrest of these prepetrators so that peace may reign in the area,” Bravo said.
ACE, is a legitimate association made up of regional executives of national agencies in Caraga. (FEA/PIA-Caraga)
PAJ to hold “Climate Change” seminar-workshop in Caraga
By Greg Tataro, Jr.
TANDAG CITY, Surigao del Sur, Sept. 16 (PIA) – The Philippine Agricultural Journalists, Inc. (PAJ) is now about to enter the third leg of its series of workshops being undertaken dubbed as “Climate Change: Gets mo na ba?”
To be held in Siargao, Dinagat Islands province, Caraga region, the organizers of the three-day activity, which aims to ‘“laymanize” climate change processes and terminologies,” have invited members of the tri-media in Caraga and Davao regions to “enable fellow regional journalists to write, publish and broadcast better and more stories.”
Roman Floresca, PAJ president, said in his letter of invitation dated September 7, 2015 to one of the prospective invitees, the conduct of this “series of regional seminar-workshops” is “in partnership with the Department of Agriculture - Climate Change Office, and Metro Pacific Investments Corp., Smart Communications, and Philex Mining Corp.”
Prior to this, it was learned that the same undertaking had just been concluded in Legazpi City and Tacloban City on July 31-August 1 as well as on August 27-28, respectively.
PAJ is set to hold the last and final leg in Tuguegarao City on October 27-29, 2015, Floresca added. (Radyo ng Bayan-Tandag/PIA-Surigao del Sur)
Diocese of Tandag to spearhead “Caravan for Justice and Peace” in SurSur
By Greg Tataro Jr.
TANDAG CITY, Surigao del Sur, Sept. 16 (PIA) – “The Bishop of Tandag (Most Rev. Nereo Odchimar) together with the Diocesan priests will be having a CARAVAN FOR JUSTICE AND PEACE on September 17-18, 2015,” according to Rev. Fr. Philipp Vincent Montenegro, Diocesan Social Communications Apostolate director.
In his invitation letter to media dated September 15, 2015, Fr. Montenegro had laid down the important details of the two-day activity, saying, among others, that the convoy would travel starting from Cantilan town to Mangagoy, Bislig City, this province—about 239 kilometer stretch.
It would culminate “with a Mass followed by a rally,” he indicated.
The reason of the planned undertaking was “In view of the killings, evacuations and displacements of our Lumad brothers and sisters,” Fr. Montenegro cited.
Moreover, the priest pointed out that media people are invited “to join the said event to cover and report the activities that the people may know,” adding that “It is our primary responsibility as Christians and as part of civil society to empathize with the plight of those marginalized among us.”
A vehicle, including meals and accommodations, is provided for the media which will leave the Diocesan Pastoral Center, this city, at 5:00 a.m. on September 17.
It can be recalled that since September 1, some 3,000 lumad evacuees have continued to take shelter at Surigao del Sur Sports Center for fear of their lives.
During the break of dawn of that day, three kin of the lumads were murdered—Emerito Samarca, executive director of Alternative Learning Center for Agricultural Development (Alcadev); Dionel Campos, chairman, Malahutayong Pakigbisug alang sa mga Sumusunod (Mapasu); and Bello Sinzo, a civilian—allegedly by members of the Magahat-Bagani force.
Charges of multiple murder, arson, grave threats, grave coercions, and robbery were already filed with the Lianga Prosecutor’s Office against three suspects—siblings Bobby and Loloy Tejero as well as Garito Layno and 20 John Does—on September 7, according to P/SSupt. Narciso Verdadero, PNP provincial director, here.
However, the provincial police chief admitted they are still awaiting the warrants of arrest to come out. (Radyo ng Bayan-Tandag/PIA-Surigao del Sur)
Tagalog News: Pangulong Aquino payag makipag-usap sa mga retiradong heneral na ayaw sa Bangsamoro Basic Law
Ni David M. Suyao
PROSPERIDAD, Agusa del Sur, Setyembre 16 (PIA) - Nagpahayag si Pangulong Benigno S. Aquino III ng kanyang pagpayag na maupo kasama ang mga retiradong heneral na pumirma sa isinapublikong liham na nailathala sa pahayagan, na nagpahayag ng pagsalungat sa pagpasa ng Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL)
Sa isang pakipagpanayam sa mga reporter sa lunsod ng Iloilo noong Lunes, ikinalulungkot ni Pangulong Aquino ang kilos ng mga retiradong opisyales mula sa military, police, Bureau of Fire Protection at iba pang unipormado sa serbisyo, at sinabing dapat nakipag-usap ang mga ito sa kanya at sinabi ang kanilang pagkabalisa sa BBL.
"Nagulat ako doon sa nakita kong advertisement kanina. Ngayon... sana magkaroon ng pagkakataon na makausap ko itong mga nakapirma," sabi niya.
"Una, tatanungin ko kung talaga bang pumirma kayo dito? Pangalawa, saan ba kayo tutol dito? Nabasa ba niyo talaga ‘yung panukalang batas? Nakinig lang ba kayo sa mga so-called ‘experts’? Ano kaya (ang) agenda ‘nung ‘experts’ na ‘yon? ‘Yung talagang open na discussion," dagdag pa niya.
Sinabi ng Pangulo na nagulat siya na nakita ang manifesto na nilagdaan ng mga taong nakilala niya mula pa noong rebolusyon sa EDSA at mga dating miyembro ng Gabineteng grupo na pangsuguridad.
"Bakit hindi nila ako kinausap? Hindi ba ako worthwhile kausapin? Basta sa akin bukas ako sa kanila, sana sila bukas rin sa akin," sabi niya.
Naitanong ng Punong Ehekutibo kung bakit ang mga retiradong heneral ay hindi kusang sumali sa iba’t ibang pagpupulong sa mga hakbangin para masagot ang kanilang pagkabalisa o kaya gumawa ng mga alternatibo para sa prosesong pangkapayapaan ng Bangsamoro.
Naniniwala ang mga retiradong heneral na ang BBL ay labag sa konstitusyon.
"Lahat tayo dapat nakilahok dito sa dayalogong ito, dapat mature na tayo. Iyong, this is not a good step, there has to be a better step. This is the better step. Baka somebody can even say, ‘This is the best step.’ Kung mas maganda ‘yung mungkahi nila, bakit hindi susuportahan? Pero ‘yung tuligsa ka lang nang tuligsa, maliban sa naglabas ka ng hangin, ano bang napala noon?," sabi niya. (PIA-Agusan del Sur)