(PAGASA 24-HOUR PUBLIC WEATHER FORECAST as of Friday, 24 September 2021) Easterlies affecting Luzon. Localized thunderstorms affecting Mindanao. ACTIVE TROPICAL CYCLONE OUTSIDE PAR AS OF 3:00 AM TODAY TROPICAL STORM MINDULLE (2116) LOCATION: 1,890 KM EAST OF SOUTHERN LUZON (14.2°N, 141.7°E) MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS: 85 KM/H GUSTINESS: UP TO 105 KM/H MOVEMENT: WEST NORTHWEST AT 20 KM/H Caraga Region will have partly cloudy to cloudy skies with isolated rainshowers or thunderstorms due to Localized thunderstorms. Possible flash floods or landslides due to severe thunderstorms. Light to Moderate winds coming from Northeast to Northwest will prevail with Slight to Moderate seas/(0.6 to 2.1 meters).




Friday, September 24, 2021

1221 aspiring cadets take PMA entrance exam in CDOC, Bayugan City

BUTUAN CITY – A total of 1,221 aspiring cadets have taken the challenge and took the Philippine Military Academy Entrance Exam (PMAEE) in Cagayan de Oro City and Bayugan City on September 15 – 18, 2021. 

There were 521 young individuals who took the exam held at 4ID Headquarters Gymnasium in Camp Evangelista, Patag, Cagayan de Oro City on September 15-18, 2021 and 600 examinees held at Lope A. Asis Gym in Bayugan City, Agusan del Sur on September 16-18, 2021.

Out of the 672 online registered applicants in CDOC, only 48.1% or 315 reported and took the actual exam with 206 walk-in applicants while out of 459 online registered applicants in Bayugan City, 57.30% or 254 reported for the exam.

This is the second time that the PMAEE was held during the pandemic. Last year’s data for Cagayan de Oro showed that out of the 698 regular applicants, only 390 reported for the exam or 55.87%. There were 168 walk-in applicants who reported to take the exam for a total of 558 examinees.

While last year’s data for Bayugan City showed that out of 553 regular applicants, only 317 reported for the exam or 57.32%. There were 355 walk-in applicants who reported to take the exam for a total of 672 examinees.

Major Julesther Canada, Officer-In-Charge of the PMA Team in CDOC, said that the PMA’s Cadet Recruitment and Admission accepted exam registration was done via online application, mail application and thru walk-in application to give all interested applicants a chance to take the exam. 

He also said that aspiring cadets are really determined to take the exam despite the COVID-19 restrictions and strict protocols and guidelines as there was still a decent turn-out of examinees for this year’s PMAEE.

During the previous years prior to the pandemic, Cagayan de Oro City produced more than 1,000 examinees every year. The low turnout of applicants can be attributed to the COVID-19 pandemic. The minimum health requirement for an applicant for the year 2021 to be allowed to enter the exam venue is a negative antigen test. For those still interested and qualified, there will be PMAEE next year, they may start now their preparations to be ready to take the challenge,” Maj. Canada said.

In his statement, Major General Romeo Brawner, Jr. said that the PMA Entrance Exam is the first stage in the recruitment process for cadetship. He said that this year’s PMAEE is different from the usual conduct of examination due to the pandemic. The previous one day event became a 4-day activity to comply with the proper protocols implemented to fight and counter the spread of the pandemic.

“This annual entrance examination nationwide is conducted to select the best and the brightest youths to compose the PMA class of 2026. We salute the determination of those who took the PMAEE. More than the free college education with a well-rounded curriculum and monthly pay and allowances, they will have the noble privilege of serving the country and its people, to have a progressive career as part of the Officer Corps in the Army, Air Force or Navy and lead soldiers to sustain peace and development in our country,” MGen. Brawner added. (Maj. Francisco Garello, Jr., DPAO, 4ID, PA/ PIA-Agusan del Sur)

Friday, September 24, 2021

Secretary Andanar: Pro-poor programs and policies contributed to high satisfaction ratings of President Duterte

MANILA - Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Martin Andanar attributed President Rodrigo Duterte’s high satisfaction ratings to his policies grounded on ensuring the welfare of the poor.

Secretary Andanar referred to landmark policies that have contributed to the vision of the administration in providing a comfortable life for every Filipino.

These included the passage of the Universal Healthcare Law, the provision of free tertiary education in public universities and colleges, assistance to former rebels, and the massive infrastructure projects, among others.

“Ipinaliwanag ng lahat ng ito kung bakit hanggang ngayon napakataas pa rin ng satisfaction rating ni Presidente. Nasa 75% pa rin ang satisfaction rating niya [These policies show why until now the President enjoys satisfaction rating of 75%],” he said in an interview.

 

“Para sa isang pa-exit na Pangulo napakataas ng 75% [For a President who is about to exit his term, 75% is very high],” he added. He also cited some of the policies which promoted inclusive growth for the country.

The Social Weather Stations on Thursday presented three batches of survey results starting from November 2020 to June 2021.

The SWS survey result in November 2020 showed that 84 percent of respondents claimed that they were “very/somewhat satisfied” with the President’s performance, while 75% satisfaction ratings were reported for President Duterte for the months of May and June this year.

Secretary Andanar mentioned that the improvements done in government media and strengthened partnership with the private media have helped in disseminating the initiative of the government.

He also stressed the need to report the accomplishments of the Duterte Administration in order for more Filipinos to be informed of the programs and services that they can avail of from government offices.

“Ang trabaho namin is based on public trust. Dapat magreport tayo because pera ito ng taumbayan [Our work is based on public trust and it is only right for us to report this because we are using the people’s money],” he said.

“Kung ang mga negosyante nga nagbibigay ng report sa kanilang stakeholders, how much more ang gobyerno na ang stakeholders natin ay ang bawat Pilipino [If businesses are required to provide a report to their stakeholders, then so should the government because every Filipino is our stakeholder],” he added.

The PCOO chief said that he respects the opinion of the critics who are tagging the PCOO’s Duterte Legacy campaign as a purveyor of fake news. With that said, he encouraged them to do their own research on those Filipino families who are benefitting from the programs of the government instead.

“Present na present po yang mga programang ginagawa ng pamahalaan. Magtanong kayo sa mga nakinabang kagaya dun sa mga estudyanteng nakinabang sa libreng edukasyon sa kolehiyo [The programs of the government are present. You can just ask those who benefitted from it like the students who are enjoying the free tertiary education],” he said.

“Makakatanggap ka talaga ng mga kritisismo dahil yan naman ay parte ng ating demokrasya at nirerespeto po natin ang kanilang mga pananaw sa buhay, the same way, they should respect beliefs, values, and our political leanings [We expect to receive criticisms because that's part of our democracy and we respect the views of our critics, the same way, they should respect (our) beliefs, values, and political leanings],” he added.

Friday, September 24, 2021

2 rebels killed, high-powered guns seized in SurSur clash

CANTILAN, Surigao del Sur -- Two New People's Army (NPA) rebels were killed while several high-powered firearms were seized after a firefight with government forces at Sitio Agsam, Barangay Cabas-an, Cantilan, Surigao del Sur on Tuesday.

Lt. Colonel Michael Reuyan of the 36th Infantry “Valor” Battalion said the casualties were believed to be members of Platoon 2, Guerilla Front 30 (GF30), led by Noel Tumarlas Alacre “Ka Megan." The enemy immediately withdrew to different directions and left their wounded comrades behind.

Reuyan added the cadavers were turned over to the Philippine National Police and local government units for identification and post-mortem examination.

The government troopers also seized some high powered firearms and other paraphernalia: one M16A1 rifle; one AR18 rifle; one carbine; one bandolier loaded with two long magazines and one short magazine of M16; four backpacks; two Nokia cell phones; medical paraphernalia; personal belongings; and other subversive documents.

Reuyan said the clash is a result of the relentless combat operations conducted by the government troops.

“With the support of the locals and communities, we could easily track down the enemy. It is a manifestation that they don't want the Communist New People's Army Terrorist in their area," Reuyan said.

“The 36IB unit grieves with the slain NPAs as they are also victims of futile arm struggle and failed ideology,” the official noted. (with a report from 36IB/PIA-Surigao del Sur) 

Friday, September 24, 2021

RPOC-13 convenes for its 3rd Quarter meeting

BUTUAN CITY - The Regional Peace and Order Council (RPOC)-Caraga held its 3rd Quarter Meeting for CY 2021 recently through a virtual teleconference via Zoom.

MGen. Romeo S. Brawner, Jr., 4th Infantry Division Commander, Philippine Army is the newly installed co-vice chairperson of RPOC XIII Caraga as he took his oath of office during the meeting.

DILG-Caraga regional director Lilibeth A. Famacion reported the accomplishments and updates of the RPOC, highlighting the conducted activities of the recent National Crime Prevention Week (NCPW) Celebration with the theme, “Komunidad at Pamahalaan Magtulungan: Krimen, Korapsyon at Pandemya Labanan.” 

Also emphasized in her presentation was the surrender and assistance to former rebels and demilitarization of firearms under the Enhanced Local Comprehensive Integration Program (ECLIP).

Three resolutions were also presented and approved and adopted, which follows:

1.      Resolution No. 10, Series of 2021 

"Resolution Adopting the Supplemental Guide on the Handbook in Handling Internal Displacement"

2.   Resolution No. 11, Series of 2021 

"A Resolution Commending the City of Cabadbaran, Agusan Del Norte for Being the First to Contribute for the CY 2021 RPOC Contribution"

3.                 Resolution No. 12, Series of 2021 

"A Resolution Approving the Regional Peace and Order Council (RPOC) XIII Operational Fund Expenses for CY 2020 and CY 2021"

Significant updates from the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) were presented and discussed regarding the peace and order and public safety situation in the region specifically on the counter-measures against criminality and insurgencies resulting from the attacks and schemes of the communist-terrorist groups (CTGs).

Also part of the discussion was the Presidential Proclamation No. 1218 which further extends the period of a state of calamity throughout the Philippines due to COVID-19, declared under Proclamation No. 1021, Series of 2020. The declaration will, among others, effectively afford the national government as well as local government units (LGUs) ample latitude to (a) continue to implement the COVID-19 vaccination program; (b) utilize appropriate funds, including the Quick Response Fund, in their disaster preparedness and response efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19; (c) monitor and control prices of basic necessities and prime commodities; and (d) provide basic services to the affected populations. 

Director Famacion announced to the members that council chairperson RPOC chairperson and provincial governor of Surigao del Sur Alexander T. Pimentel will share the LGUs’ best practice on the Caraga Roadmap for Peace during the lecture series on Peace and Local Government in the upcoming celebration of the National Peace Consciousness Month this September 23, 2021. (LGOO VI Florian Faith Jr. P. Bayawa, DILG-Caraga/DMNR/PIA-Caraga)

Friday, September 24, 2021

DTI conducts entrepreneurial, skills training in Siargao Island

SURIGAO CITY, Surigao del Norte – The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) Surigao del Norte thru its Negosyo Center in Dapa and General Luna towns in Siargao Island recently conducted the Entrepreneurial Mind Setting cum Skills Training on Banana and Root Crop Chips making.

A total of 25 members form Hugpong Federal Movement of the Philippines participated the said training held in Barangay Malinao, General Luna.

Rubilyn S. Cellona of Rubie's Food Products imparted knowledge and techniques as the Skills Training Expert/Trainor.

During the said training, Olimar O. Sulapas, Trade and Industry Development Analyst, discussed and explained the DTI CORE processes relevant to the operations of Negosyo Center to raise participants' awareness and understanding about DTI services; entrepreneurial mind setting to help participants grasp the notion of business and instill a spirit of entrepreneurship; and e-commerce is being introduced through social media marketing. (DTI-Surigao del Norte/PIA-Surigao del Norte)