Health care for IPs pushed in Caraga
By Daisy Jane M. Apit
BUTUAN CITY, Sept. 15 (PIA) – The Department of Health (DOH), National Commission on Indigenous Peoples (NCIP) and the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) collaborated in pursuit of better health service delivery and health outcomes for Indigenous Peoples (IPs) in Caraga Region.
The DOH-NCIP-DILG Joint Memorandum Circular (JMC) No. 2013-01, which was signed and approved last April 19, 2013, aims to set guidelines that will address, utilization, coverage, and equity issues in the provision of culture-sensitive and safe basic health services to the IP communities.
NCIP Agusan del Sur provincial officer Randy Rosas said the circular specifically intends to provide basic health services, equitable distribution of needed health resources, non-discrimination of IPs in the delivery of health services, management of geographical, financial and socio-cultural barriers and to strengthen recognition, promotion, and respect of safe and beneficial traditional health practices.
Rosas also bared that some of the places where the memorandum have been first implemented are located in Surigao del Sur and Agusan del Sur.
“We need to focus on the areas where there are disadvantaged groups identified using the Geographicaly-Isolated and Disadvantaged Areas (GIDA),” Rosas added.
It was learned that the memorandum shall also focus the implementation of the Indigenous Peoples - Maternal, Neonatal, Child Health and Nutrition (IP-MNCHN) Project in the whole Mindanao region.
Aside from the three core agencies (DOH, NCIP and DILG) other members of the program are, Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), Philippine National Police (PNP), Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Commission on Population (POPCOM), Commission on Higher Education (CHED), Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA), National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), Department of Education (DepEd), PhilHealth, Department of Agriculture (DA), and the provincial and local chief executives’ offices.
These agencies and organizations shall be consulted and/or engaged for coordination and/or operationalization of the circular considering the multi-sector concerns of the Indigenous Cultural Communities/IPs health development according to the JMC briefer. (DJMA/PIA-Caraga)
Army 4ID chief holds consultative meeting with LGU-SurSur, religious groups, lumad leaders
By Greg Tataro Jr.
TANDAG CITY, Surigao del Sur, Sept. 15 (PIA) – MGen. Oscar Lactao, commander of the 4th Infantry Division (4ID) of the Philippine Army (PA) has initiated a consultative meeting with the provincial government of Surigao del Sur, religious groups, and lumad leaders on Saturday, September 11.
Presided over by provincial administrator Efren Rivas, Jr., for and in behalf of Governor Johnny Pimentel who was out-of-town due to an earlier commitment, the high-ranking army official wanted to hear things from different perspectives, it was learned.
The administrator, who relayed the stand of the governor, said both Governor Pimentel and Bishop Nerio Odchimar had remained steadfast in their common stand—to disarm and disband the Magahat-Bagani force.
Allegedly, members of said group, particularly siblings Bobby and Loloy Tejero as well as Garito Layno were behind the brutal murder of Emerito Samarca, Dionel Campos, and Bello Sinzo, respectively, the executive director of Alternative Learning Center for Agricultural Development (Alcadev), chairman of Malahutayong Pakigbisug alang sa mga Sumusunod, and a civilian.
The said incident had triggered the mass evacuation of lumads from Kilometer 16, Sitio Han-ayan, Barangay Diatagon, Lianga, 90 km. south, this city, and other nearby villages on September 1.
Rivas reported at the flag ceremony program on Monday that evacuees at the Surigao del Sur Sports Center had already been posted at more than 3,000.
Cases of multiple murder, arson, robbery, grave threats, and grave coercions had already been filed against the suspects and 20 John Does at the Prosecutor’s Office in Lianga town, according to P/SSupt. Narciso Verdadero, PNP provincial director. However, warrants of arrest have yet to be issued in this regard.
According to Rivas, Gen. Lactao vowed to help pursue the arrest of the perpetrators.
Among others, the Saturday meeting held at the conference room of the Provincial Governor’s Office was attended by Bishop Odchimar, other church and lumad leaders, top army officials in the province and P/SSupt. Verdadero. (Radyo ng Bayan-Tandag/PIA-Surigao del Sur)
Butuan secondary school launches wellness program
BUTUAN CITY, Sept. 15 (PIA) - The Taligaman National High School (TNHS) recently launched its wellness program, which aims to promote and practice healthy lifestyle to the faculty and staff of the school.
The program kicked off with a parade in the morning throughout Barangay Taligaman and was followed by a launching proper in the afternoon. TNHS principal Ruth Castromayor opened the program by emphasizing the pressing need for living healthy inside and out because of the nature of work plus the demands to balance family and career lives.
“To become more productive, effective and efficient employees, the school in coordination with the MAPEH Department designed this wellness program. Starting today, Sep. 10 and every Friday at 3:00 pm, the faculty and staff will do a two-hour zumba,” Castromayor said.
DepEd Butuan City asst. schools division supt. Jeanie L. Mativo graced the opening celebration. She also shared an inspiring story on how one should maintain fitness and wellness not only in the body but also in the emotion.
Barangay Taligaman Committee on Education chairman Reynaldo Nituda simply shared his insights about the famous line, “When work is lost, nothing is lost. When health is lost, all is lost.”
The celebration became more memorable as everyone was gathered in the ground for the releasing of balloons with wishes written on it during the ceremonial launching of the wellness program.
The event ended with a Zumba participated by the DepEd local officials, teachers, Barangay Council Members, GPTA officers and students. (NCLM/Glen B. Pacot, DepEd Butuan City/PIA-Agusan del Norte)
19 SurSur agrarian reform beneficiaries take oath
By Myra Q. Yu
TANDAG CITY, Surigao del Sur, Sept. 15 (PIA) - About 19 farmer-beneficiaries from the municipality of San Miguel, Surigao del Sur took their oath recently at the Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 27 as confirmation of being the new agrarian reform beneficiaries (ARBs) under the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program (CARP).
The said oath taking is significant to instill the roles and regulations of becoming an ARB and what are their obligations upon receiving the land awarded to them.
Among the obligations cited include the paying of their annual amortization with Land Bank of the Philippines (LBP), prohibition period of 10 years not to sell, transfer or convert the awarded lot unless fully paid at LBP and cultivate the land productively, among others.
The obligations stated above are also relative to one of the requirements of the LBP in the processing of Voluntary Offer to Sell Claim Folders (VOSCFs) and/or Compulsory Acquisition Claim Folders (CACFs) to ensure that the identified farmer-beneficiaries have underwent a thorough selection process conducted by the Municipal Agrarian Reform Program Officers provided in Section 22 of Republic Act No. 6657 also known as the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Law. (NGBT/DAR-IO/PIA-Surigao del Sur)