Live a healthy lifestyle to prevent kidney diseases - NKTI
By Robert E. Roperos
BUTUAN CITY, Oct. 6 (PIA) -- A nephrologist from the National Kidney and Transplant Institute (NKTI) told the public to observe and live a healthy lifestyle in order to prevent kidney diseases.
During the conduct of the Advocacy Campaign for Renal Health Care for the third quarter held at the PIA-Caraga Regional Office here, Dr. Romina Rusillon, one of the two nephrologists for adults in the region said kidney diseases can be prevented if people live healthy lifestyles.
Rusillon said the recent record from the Department of Health (DOH) and the NKTI, reveal the number of patients with kidney diseases significantly increased as compared with the previous quarter.
Rusillon said one way to obtain proper health is to have at least eight hours of sleep and avoid taking foods that are too sweet or too salty. “This may lead to kidney disease,” she added.
Furthermore, Rusillon said drinking at least eight glasses of water is also a good habit to have internal body cleansing.
According to studies of the NKTI, kidney diseases rank as number 10 cause of death in the Philippines, killing about 7,000 Filipinos every year.
The NKTI also said in 2010, almost 14,000 Filipinos suffered from end-stage renal disease and underwent dialysis. Unfortunately, kidney disease often cannot be cured.
Early detection and prevention of kidney failure is vital, so that it will not progress to chronic kidney disease.
Rusillon also advised the public to undergo regular urinalysis because this is the only way that can reveal diseases that went unnoticed because they do not produce signs or symptoms. “Among these include diabetes mellitus, various forms of glomerulonephritis, and chronic urinary tract infections,” Rusillon said.
Meanwhile, chronic glomerulonephritis used to be the most common cause of end-stage renal disease in third-world countries, including the Philippines. It usually afflicts children, adolescents and young adults in their productive years. Children and young adults with latent glomerulonephritis can escape detection for months or years, causing the condition to progress to a chronic state.
“Prevention is better than cure," Rusillon reiterated. (RER–PIA-Caraga)
2 Surigao del Sur LGU compete for reg'l search in best sanitation practices
By Nida Grace B. Tranquilan
TANDAG CITY, Surigao del Sur, Oct. 6 (PIA) -- The province of Surigao del Sur has two entries to compete for this year’s "Search for the Barangays with Best Sanitation Practices" for the regional level.
The provincial health office (PHO) revealed that Barangay Maticdum, Tandag City and Barangay Manlico, Cortes will be the entries to represent them for the regional level after grabbing the first and second rank in the provincial level competition conducted August this year.
The evaluators’ team from Caraga region visited last October 4 Barangay Maticdum, which is about eight kilometers away from the city, for the physical assessment and evaluation based on their criteria. Barangay Manlico was visited by the team the next day.
In her acceptance speech during the feedback on the evaluation conducted, Maticdum Barangay Captain Letecia Malalis said that the “Tabo” system in their barangay has been initiated in 1990s, where all of their crops and vegetables were displayed in one place. Since then, the Tabo system was practiced in the area and now their place was known as one of the local producer of crops and vegetables in the “Tabo” conducted every Saturday in Tandag City.
Tandag City Mayor Alexander Pimentel also expressed his support to the barangay council for the competition and lauded the efforts made by his constituents for winning first prize in the provincial level search for the "Barangay with Best Sanitation Practices."
The evaluators’ team said that the results will be revealed in mid-October, and the winner will represent the Caraga Region to compete for the national level. (NGBT/PIA-Surigao del Sur)
NSO-Caraga to conduct enhancement training on civil registration
By Danilo Makiling
BUTUAN CITY, Oct. 6 (PIA) -- The National Statistics Office (NSO) Caraga will be conducting the enhancement training on civil registration on October 9 at the Prince Hotel, Montilla Blvd., this city.
According to Rosalinda Celeste, NSO-Caraga regional director, the training will focus on the process flow, requirements, and priority loading of special civil registry documents affected by the court decrees and legal instruments (CDLI). It also concerns Republic Act (RA) 9048 or known as the “Correction of clerical or typographical error law,” and RA 9255 also known as “An Act allowing the illegitimate children to use the surname of their father."
The official also said that the training is designed to improve front-line services and to minimize feedback and re-work cases of annotation requests.
With this, NSO Caraga is inviting all the civil registrar or registration officers assigned in CDLI and RA 9048 cases in the region to attend the training.
For more information, contact Bernadeth Bonachita of NSO Caraga at (O85) 225-5219 or email email@example.com. (NCLM/PIA-Caraga)
Comelec offices province-wide very silent on first day of filing of COC
By Alexis G. Cabardo
AGUSAN DEL SUR, Oct. 6 (PIA) -- Offices of the Commission on Election (Comelec) province-wide were likened to graveyards during the first day of filing of certificate of candidacy (COC) of those who wish to run for public office on 2013 election.
Lawyer Francisco Pobe, Comelec regional director and concurrent provincial election supervisor for Agusan del Sur, their records and monitoring reports show that as of 4 p.m. yesterday, not even one candidate has filed his COC from congressional down to the Sangguniang Bayan/Panglungsod posts.
“It is sad to note that not even one candidate have filed his or her COC during the first day of filing and that was yesterday. In other places as seen in television, even nuisance candidates were already busy filing their COC, but of course, Comelec will screen the COC filed and if found not qualified or nuisance, we will hold their COC,” Pobe said.
Because of the situation yesterday, the Comelec is calling the attention of the candidates to file their COC early because after Friday, October 5, Comelec will never give extension on the filing of the COC.
Pobe also said that upon filing their COCs, candidates will be reminded of the strict schedule of the campaign period to include other rules and regulations that the Comelec imposes covering the election period since the filing of candidacy until during election time.
“It is very important that every candidate will spend enough time in filing their COCs so that they will know the updated rules and regulations that cover the election period. These will include among others, the campaign ethics, sizes and posting of campaign materials and the period when the campaign start and end,” Pobe said.
According to Comelec, candidates for mayor, vice mayor and Sangguniang Bayan members can file their COCs at the Office of the municipal election supervisors while those who will run for governor, vice governor and Sangguniang Panlalawigan can file their COCs at the Office of the Provincial Election Supervisor. For the congressional posts, they can file their COCs at their district’s election supervisors.
For the senatorial candidates, they can only file their COCs at the Comelec main office at Intramuros, Manila.
Meanwhile, registration of voters are temporarily suspended from October 1 until October five to give way to the filing of candidacy. Registration of voters will resume after the filing of COCs by the candidates. (DMS/LGU-PPIO/PIA-Agusan del Sur)
Rehab road to make travel to residents, visitors of La Paz comfortable
By Melody E. de Vera
PATIN-AY, Prosperidad, Agusan del Sur, Oct. 6 (PIA) -- Some 3,000 residents of Brgy. Panagangan, nearby barangays of La Paz town, and visitors now enjoy safe and comfortable travels after a 12-kilometer road was rehabilitated inter-connecting three other barangays.
Jolina Macario, a farmer and a pioneer resident of Purok 7, Sitio Mahmah, Brgy. Panagangan said farmers like him have one common feeling as they witness the opening of the newly rehabilitated road network: happy and with high hopes for the future.
“Since I was born here in Sitio Mahmah, all I experienced was hardship and sacrifices especially when we transport our farm products to Poblacion La Paz during rainy season. Sometimes, the sale of our products is just enough to pay to the drivers of the motorcycles we used to ride in transporting our farm products. But now that the road network was rehabilitated and well graveled and compacted, our travel time are reduced to almost half of our travel time before, while the cost in transporting our products reduced to almost one half also, and travel at present is safe and comfortable,” Macario said.
Barangay Panagangan Chairperson Lily Empleo said the funds used to rehabilitate the road network was taken from the 20 percent Provincial Development Fund of the 2011 annual provincial budget, amounting to P1 million.
This is given annually by the provincial government to all the 13 municipalities and the lone city in Agusan del Sur to finance their priority projects.
“Having our dreams come true and in order to pay tribute to the sincere support of Gov. Adolph Edward Plaza to us, we passed a barangay ordinance No. 005 series of 2011 stating that we religiously set aside funds to maintain and prevent the road from getting damaged,” Empleo said.
She said the ordinance also states that trucks with heavy loads of logs and other heavy cargoes are prohibited to pass on the road while sanctions are also defined. She is also hopeful that more projects will be given to their area by the provincial government. (PIA-Agusan del Sur)
Tagalog news: Komite, binisita ang mga nakabilanggong senior citizens ng lungsod
By Danilo S. Makiling
BUTUAN CITY, Agusan del Norte, Okt. 6 (PIA) – Binisita ng Regional Inter-Agency Committee (RIAC-SC) ang mga nakabilanggong senior citizens sa Butuan City Jail kasabay sa pagdiriwang ng Elderly Filipino Week sa taong ito.
Ang RIAC-SC ay pinangugungunahan ng Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) – Caraga sa pakikipag-ugnayan ng Office of Senior Citizens Affairs (OSCA).
Alinsunod sa Presidential Proclamation No. 470, na idinideklara ang buwan ng Oktubre 1 hanggang 7 bilang “Linggo ng Katandaang Filipino” inilalayon nitong itaguyod ang kaalaman ng publiko sa mga karapatan ng mga matatanda sa bansa.
Habang isinasagawa ang aktibidad, ang mga manggagawa ng Butuan City Jail ay nagbigay ng parangal sa mga senior citizens sa pamamagitan ng pagbibigay ng mga bulaklak, samantala ang ibang miyembro ng RIAC-SC ay namahagi ng iba't ibang mga bagay sa 17 na senior citizens sa bilangguan.
Sa kanyang mensahe, ipinahayag ni Bureau of Jail and Management and Penology (BJMP) Senior Inspector Felix O. Resullar ang kanyang pasasalamat sa mga miyembro ng RIAC-SC dahil ipinaabot nila sa mga senior citizens ang kanilang suporta.
“Gusto ko po sanang ipaabot sa mga ahensya na kabilang sa mga sumuporta sa mga senior citizens sa pagbibigay sa kanila ng oportunidad na maki-isa sa pagdiriwang ng Elderly Filipino Week," ani Resullar.
Isa sa mga senior citizens detainees, si Samuel Camantes, ay nagpahayag din ng kaniyang pasasalamat. “Masaya po ako dahil hindi po kami nakakalimutan ng pamahalaan ng Butuan City bagaman nandito kami sa bilangguan kasama parin kami sa pagdiriwang ng Elderly Filipino Week,” ani Camantes.
Binigyang diin ni Wilma Geralla ng DSWD-Caraga na bawat senior citizens ay may karapatan na makatanggap ng karagdagang benepisyo at pribilehiyo, na nakasaad sa Republic Act No. 9994 or kilala bilang, “Batas na nagbibigay ng karagdagang benepisyo at pribilehiyo sa mga senior citizens.” (NCLM/PIA-Caraga)
Cebuano news: Mga websites sa gobyerno protektado sa cyber attacks, sulti ni Coloma
By Susil D. Ragas
SURIGAO CITY, Okt 5 (PIA) -- Mga websites sa gobyerno nagpabilin nga protektado sa cyber attacks taliwala sa mga hulga gikan sa mga hackers nga nasuko tungod sa pag-imposar sa Cybercrime Prevention Act, matud ni Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. sa iyang pamahayag kagahapon.
“We continue to adopt appropriate security measures to ensure the integrity of our websites,” sa pamahayag ni Coloma isip tubag ngadto sa mga taho nga giatake ang mga websites sa gobyerno.
Giklaro usab ni Coloma ang mga taho nga ang website sa Office of the President (www.president.gov.ph) dili na kono ma-abli sa publiko sukad alas 7:50 sa gabii niadtong Miyerkules.
Ang website sa Pangulo mipailawom sa gikatakdang systems maintenance nga miluntad sa hapit lima ka oras niadtong buntag sa Oktubre 3, matud pa niya, nga atol niadtong panahona, ang mga sumosunod sa Facebook fans ug Twitter sa Pangulo ang gi re-directed ug nakahimo paggamit sa maong mga social media channels nga walay pagkahunong.
Matud pa usab ni Coloma nga bisan ang laing mga websites sa gobyerno wala usab ma hacked niadtong niaging semana, sukwahi sa mga taho nga ang website sa Philippine Information Agency giatake.
“There was no actual defacement of the PIA website and at no time was there a service disruption. In the morning of 2 October, a hacker apparently got into the personal email account of one of the online editors and inserted a link that appeared in one of the posted stories,” matud pa ni Coloma.
Aduna usab mga taho nga giatake sa maong mga hackers ang pipila ka mga websites sa gobyerno niadtong Miyerkules, ang unang adlaw sa pag-epekto sa Cybercrime Prevention Act.
Pipila ka mga grupo ang mikuwestyon o misupak sa maong bag-ong balaodnon, partikular na sa pipila ka mga probisyon sa online libel nga posibleng hulga sa katungod sa katawhan ngadto sa kagawasan sa pagpahayag. (RER/FEA/PIA-Surigao del Norte)