1.29.2012

PIA News Service - Sunday, January 29, 2012

PNoy asks NHA to fast track construction of Bayanihan Village in Iligan City

by Robert E. Roperos

BUTUAN CITY, Jan. 29 (PIA)
-- President Benigno S. Aquino III recently said he will ask the National Housing Authority (NHA) to fast track the construction of some 1,700 houses in Bayanihan Village in Iligan City This was the relocation site purchased by the local government for typhoon “Sendong” victims in the city.

In his speech during the airing of “Pilipinas Natin” featuring the “Bayanihan ng Bayan Sa Iligan” held recently at the 15.9-hectare relocation site in Sta. Elena, Steeltown, Iligan City, the President said he will ask NHA General Manager Chito Cruz to immediately finish the construction of the houses on or before June 2012.

The President also said the national government will be monitoring the progress of the construction so that typhoon “Sendong” survivors can immediately be relocated in the said area.

Accordingly, aside from the 1,700 houses, school buildings are also set for construction so that children in the village will no longer go to elementary and high schools located some four kilometers from the said permanent resettlement site.

Meanwhile, President Aquino said the resettlement area in Iligan City has been approved by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) which means that the
area is not prone to any disaster.

“Mas mabuti na po ang mag-ingat upang hindi na ulit pang mangyari ang nangyari noong nakaraang taon nang biglang nanalasa ang bagyong Sendong (We have to be careful so that what happened last year when typhoon Sendong hits the area, will never happen again),” Pres. Aquino said.

As of the Jan. 23 report of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), number of families affected in Iligan City reached 20,249 or equivalent to 90,284 persons, while total number of houses totally damaged is recorded at 5,246 and 14,874 are partially damaged.

The DSWD also reported that the local government has established 14 evacuation centers where 1,635 families or 8,584 persons are occupying the said evacuation centers, while families outside the evacuation centers is recorded at 10,472. (PIA-Caraga)

.
PNP-Caraga to hold “Takbong Maharlika” on Monday

by Robert E. Roperos

BUTUAN CITY, Jan. 29 (PIA)
– Philippine National Police (PNP) in Caraga Region is once again conducting the “Takbong Maharlika, Tungo sa Pagkakaisa” on Monday, Jan. 30, Police Superintendent Martin Gamba, PNP Regional Public Information Officer said.

According to Gamba, the fun run will start at 2 p.m., with a short program at the Agusan del Norte Provincial Capitol Covered Court wherein local officials of this city and the province of Agusan del Norte will grace the activity.

Gamba also said PNP personnel from Police Regional Office-13 and representatives from PNP National Headquarters are also set to participate.

Among those who were invited to grace the opening program include Butuan City Mayor Ferdinand Amante, Agusan del Norte Governor Erlpe John Amante, Agusan del Norte 1st District Representative Jose S. Aquino II, and Butuan Bishop Juan de Dios Pueblos.


Gamba said the “Takbong Maharlika, Tungo sa Pagkakaisa” is aimed to encourage and urge PNP personnel and citizens in the region to take on the fitness project and exercise a national culture of fitness, leading to the vision of a healthier Philippines. (PIA-Caraga)