6.08.2011

PIA News Service - Tuesday, June 7, 2011

PNoy campaigns for Puerto Princesa Underground River’s bid to the new 7 Wonders of Nature

by Robert E. Roperos

BUTUAN CITY, June 7 (PIA)
-- President Benigno S. Aquino III yesterday called on the Filipino people to vote for Puerto Princesa’s Underground River in the country’s bid to be included in the new seven wonders of nature. 

During the ceremonial voting held in Malacañan Palace, Pres. Aquino led the on-line votation as well as through the short messaging system (SMS).

In his speech, the President said the successful campaign to include the said tourist attraction of the country as one of the seven wonders of nature will help boost the tourism industry of the country. 

“Last year, we had a total visitor arrival of 3.52 million people, an increase of 16% from 2009… Through your continued support, we can further increase tourist arrivals in our country. We can benefit various local industries dependent on tourism and reduce poverty for the many Filipinos who make a living out of making every visit worthwhile for our tourists,” Pres. Aquino said.

Pres. Aquino further said the finalists and winners of the seven man-made wonders of the world exhibited a drastic increase in the tourism industries of their respective countries. 

“It is expected that the same result will be achieved by the new seven wonders of nature. This means that if the Puerto Princesa Underground River garners a spot in the new seven wonders of nature, the amount of tourists visiting here will obviously skyrocket,” the President added.

Because of this, the President said new facilities, flights and tools will be created to meet the demand. With this, Aquino said new job opportunities will be created for the local community and with a multiplier effect, this gives rise to even more employment in other industries. 

“All these will be undertaken carefully and responsibly without squandering the abundant natural resources we want to preserve in Palawan. We will also naturally develop an increase awareness of the importance of protecting the environment and on-going sustainability efforts will continue and grow even stronger,” Pres. Aquino said.

The President added that each and every Filipino has a big role to play for the Philippines to win. “It is really up to us to vote through text and via Internet so that we can place the Puerto Princesa Underground River in its rightful throne amongst the new seven wonders of nature,” he said.

To vote online, just log on to http://www.new7wonders.com/ and check the option PP Underground River – Philippines. For SMS voting, just text PPUR15 and send to 2861.

As of press time, Puerto Princesa Underground River is still on the 11th spot as per the voting trends in the website. The top seven contenders are: 1. Iguazu Falls – Argentina, Brazil; 2. Amazon – South America; 3. Halong Bay – Viet Nam; 4. Great Barrier Reef – Australia, 5. PNG; Dead Sea – Israel, Jordan, Palestine; 6. Grand Canyon – USA and; 7. Komodo – Indonesia. (PIA-Caraga)

.
Task force created for displaced Kitcharao tribal folk

by Susil D. Ragas and FEBakilan

SURIGAO DEL NORTE, June 7 (PIA)
–- The City Peace and Order Council (CPOC) created recently a multi-agency task force purposely to facilitate the peaceful transfer of the Mamanwa families temporarily settled in Brgy. Luna, Surigao City back to their original abode in Sitio Zapanta Valley, Brgy. Bangayan, Kitcharao, Agusan del Norte.

Just recently, around 37 Mamanwa families or 137 individuals fled their homes last May 31 due to armed clashes between the military and the New People's Army (NPA).

30th IB Commanding Officer LTC Erwin Rommel Lamzon reported during the meeting that the evacuees need not to worry anymore for his troops have already left the area. “It has already been a week that there was no presence of the gov’t troops in Sitio Zapanta, so they can now go back to their homes,” Lamzon said.

City Mayor Ernesto Matugas for his part, was also saddened with this recent event. “I was saddened because the people who facilitated these evacuees didn’t even bother to pay courtesy to the office of the city mayor. I was not really informed of their presence in Sitio Bacud; it was only when I received a complaint from the residents.”

It was learned that the evacuees settled in the lot owned by the Cortes family with Board Member Leonilo Aldonza as the lot administrator. "I was saddened because Hon. Aldonza and the barangay council failed to inform me," the mayor said.

Board Member Aldonza, in an interview, explained that he was in Cebu City for a medical check-up when the negotiation happened. "I actually told Luna Brgy. Captain Alfredo Dacuron to inform the city mayor," he said. 

It was further learned that members of the Kahugpungan sa mga Lumadnong Organisasyon (KASALO) led the transfer to Surigao City. However, the city mayor does found no reason why they chose the city as their temporarily settlement.
.
“An ila lungsod, an Kitcharao proper peaceful man. Naglibog gajud ako ngano diri man sila sa Surigao City nubalhin. (Their town, the Kitcharao proper is peaceful. I am still puzzled why they chose to transfer in Surigao City),” said Matugas.

Mayor Matugas also said residents adjacent to the Cortes’ property vehemently objected the Mamanwa’s presence in the area, for “it will only create problem when it comes to peace and order as well as health and sanitation.”

A nine-member team was created led by Girlie Patagan of the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples (NCIP) to look into the incident, as there were reports that the residents of Sitio Bacud objected to the displacement. Other members Lt. Col. Lamzon; PC/Insp. Rudy Elandag, chief of Police of PNP-Surigao City; Manuel Kong of the Rotary Club of Central Surigao; Board Member Leonilo Aldonza, administrator of the property; Luna Brgy. Captain Alfredo Dacuron; City Councilor Jose Expeditus Bayana; Fryan Abkilan of Philippine Information Agency and a representative from the City Health Office as members.

It was learned that an initial dialogue was already conducted with the members of the task force and the evacuees headed by Datu Rolando Anlagan last Saturday, June 4. (SDR/FEA/PIA-Surigao del Norte)

.
Army troops dismiss allegations of forced evacuation of Mamanwa families

by FEAbkilan

SURIGAO DEL NORTE, June 7 (PIA)
-- The 30th Infantry “Python” Battalion Commanding Officer LTC Erwin Rommel Lamzon has dismissed the allegations made through text messages that there was a forced evacuation of Mamanwa tribe of Kitcharao in Agusan del Norte from Sitio Bacud, Brgy. Luna in Surigao City.

“There is no truth to the SMS (short messaging system) involving 30IB troops vis-à-vis the evacuees of Sitio Zapanta Valley at Brgy. Luna, Surigao City. We uphold and observe human rights, International Humanitarian Law (IHL), and the rule of law,” said Lamzon.

Lamzon’s reaction came after certain groups circulated an SMS that the 30IB troops were about to demolish the Mamanwa’s temporary shelter in Sitio Bacud in Brgy. Luna on June 4, and that they were forced to return to their homes in Sitio Zapanta Valley, Brgy. Bongayan, Kitcharao, Agusan del Norte.

“Our presence there was part of a task force created by the City Peace and Order Council (CPOC) Surigao City that would oversee the safe return of evacuees to their place in Agusan del Norte,” said Lamzon.

Around 37 Mamanwa families or 137 individuals fled their homes last May 31 due to armed clashes between the military and the New People's Army (NPA). (PIA-Surigao del Norte)

.
School kids receive school supplies from Agusan del Norte LGU

by Robert E. Roperos

BUTUAN CITY, June 7 (PIA)
-– Some 7,000 school children from different municipalities of Agusan del Norte received school supplies from the provincial government, said Mr. Rofel Cabaltera of the provincial governor’s office.

Cabaltera said the provincial government through Gov. Erlpe John Amante has been regularly distributing school supplies to pupils every year before the opening of classes.

The official added this activity will continue every year to help the parents especially in the purchase of school supplies. Through this support, the local government hopes to inspire the children to regularly attend school.

This is also the provincial government's wasy of supporting the mandate of the Department of Education (DepEd) to achieve a zero dropout rate, thus achieving the Education for All (EFA) program of the national government. (PIA-Caraga)

.
Surigao Norte gov to meet Caraga solons

SURIGAO CITY, June 7 (PIA) -- Surigao del Norte Gov. Sol Matugas, the newly appointed chair of the Caraga regional development council (RDC), has scheduled a meeting with the representatives of Caraga region and chairpersons of the RDC – sectoral committees today, June 7, 2011 at the Sulu Hotel in Quezon City.

The meeting aims to orient the members of Congress, being members of the RDC Advisory Committee on their functions and responsibilities in the RDC. They will be briefed also on the current situation of the region and the regional development thrusts and direction.

Gov. Matugas also initiated this meeting to reach out to the congressmen and request support for the advancement of the RDC. (Provincial Planning & Dev’t Office/PIA-Surigao del Norte)

.
Some schools in Caraga still entertain enrollment in the first day of school, DepEd says

by Robert E. Roperos

BUTUAN CITY, June 7 (PIA)
–- In spite of the early enrollment initiated by the Department of Education (DepEd), some schools in Caraga Region accepted enrollees on Monday, June 6 – the first day of school.

This was confirmed by DepEd-Caraga Information Officer Dr. Isidro Biol in an interview. This was part of the assessment of the regional office on the opening of classes.

According to Dr. Biol, it was sad to note that in spite of the early enrollment conducted by DepEd nationwide, there were still pupils and students who were not enrolled as of press time.

Biol said one of the reasons for having late enrollees was that the report card of some pupils and high school students were not yet released because these were were not yet cleared.

Same is also true to those who have transferred from the private schools to the public schools. “They said, report cards and other credentials were not yet released by the schools that they previously attended,” Biol said.

However, Biol assured that DepEd-Caraga has instructed the nine division offices of the region to do everything to resolve issues on the credentials which have not yet been released to the students.

Because of the prevailing condition, schools were instructed to accept enrollment until Friday, June 10 – the last day of the first week of school. 

“However, schools are also instructed to start the class yesterday, June 6 so that students will not miss the lessons,” Biol said. (PIA-Caraga)

.
Tagalog News: 7th invitational at 27th scout jamborette idadaos sa Agusan del Sur

by David M. Suyao

AGUSAN DEL SUR, Hunyo 7 (PIA)
– Mag ho-host ang Boy Scouts of the Philippines (BSP) Agusan del Sur chapter ng ika pitong Gov. Adolph Edward Plaza invitational at ika 27 na jamborette ng council scout dito sa Agusan del Sur sa darating na Hunyo 13-17, ang panahon kung saan, ang lalawigan ang magdiriwang ng ika 19 na Naliyagan Festival.
.
Ang mga inaasahang lalahok sa naturan jamborette ay manggagaling sa buong bayan ayon sa imbitasyon na ipapadala ng konseho ng BSP Agusan del Sur. Dahil ito ay pang-pito nang invitational at ikA 27 na council jamborette, ang pamahalaang panlalawigan ng Agusan del Sur ay syang sasagot sa pangangailang bigas ng lahat ng mga lalahok, kasali na ang paghahanda ng D.O Plaza Sports Complex sa Patin-ay, Prosperidad kung saan idadaos ang naturang jamborette. 

Sa Hunyo 13, ang unang araw ng jamborette at pangalawang araw ng Naliyagan Festival, ay gagawin ang pag rehistro sa lahat ng mga lalahok. Pagtapos ng maisaayos ang kalagayan ng lahat, pormal nang bubuksan ang naturang jambrette sa may bandang alas 3:00 ng hapon. Kinagabihan, idadaos ang tinatawag na gabi para kay Gobernador. 

Magiging punong-puno ng mga aktibidad ang pangalawa, pangatlo at pang-apat na araw ng Jamborette. Pagkatapos ng agahan sa mga als 7:00 ng umaga, simulan agad ang tinatawag na fancy drill, na sasalihan ng pambata, senior at rover scouts na mga antas at ito ay tatagal hanggang pananghalian. Kinahapunan, ang mga lalahok ay magpaligsahan ng tinatawag na rafleling, adventure hike, water sports, serbisyo-komunidad, at ang go green. Ito ay tatagal hanggang haponan, at pagkatapos kumain, magpupulong ang mga lider ng lahat ng delegado bago magpahinga at matulog.

Halos parepareho lamang ang mga gagawin sa pangatlong araw, maliban sa ilang idinagdag na mga gawain gaya ng pagsasanay sa panahon ng emerhensiya, pagsakay sa kalabay at bisikleta. Mayroon ding cultural kinagabihan na sasalihan ng lahat na galing sa ibat-ibang delegasyon.

Sa pang-apat na araw, magkakaroon ng tinatawag na Jambo Fiesta kung saan, makikita ang tinatawag na skill-o-rama, talents unlimited, mga katutubong laro at pagbibisita sa mga kampo ng ibat-ibang delegasyon. Lahat ng lalahok ay papayagang ding mag-ikot sa Naliyagan Plaza, at makipagsaya sa Naliyagan Festival. Isang malaking camp fire din ang gagawin kinagabihan kung saan idadaos ang pagtatapos ng Jamborette. 

Pagkatapos ng misa sa ika lima at kataposang araw ng Lamborette, habang ang mga boy scouts ay abala sa pag-aayos para umuwi, sisimulan and programa para sa ika 44 na pagkakilanlan ng lalawigan ng Agusan del Sur. Dito masasaksihan ang paligsahan sa street dancing. Habang ang After the holy mass on June 17, the fifth and the last day of the jamborette, while the contingent mga kasali sa Jamborette ay magsiuwian, ang iba naman ay maaring manood, at sumali sa mga huling programa ng Naliyagan Festival, na magtatapos kinagabihan sa isang fireworks at walang humpay na kantahan at pagsasaya.

Kaya halina kayo sa Agusan del Sur! (PIA-Agusan del Sur)

.
Cebuano News: Mokabat sa 65 ka mga overseas job applicant ang naserbisyuhan sa syudad sa Surigao

ni Annette Villaces

SURIGAO CITY, June 7 (PIA)
-– Mokabat sa 65 ka mga aplikante ang nahuman na pag interview alang sa pagtrabaho ngadto sa gawas sa nasod, partikular na sa Qatar ug Dubai atol sa gipahigayong job hiring sa M&M Placement International Incorporated kagahapong adlawa Lunes, Hunyo 6, 2011 didto sa City Cultural Center, Surigao City.

Sa Hunyo 18-19 ang nasangpit nga mga aplikante mopailwon pa gihapon ug interview diin ang mga employer na mismo ang mointerview kanila.

Ang nasangpit nga mga aplikante pwedeng mo apply sa mga pipila ka mga posisyon sama sa bus driver, driving instructor, therapist, receptionist, DH, ug housekeeping. 

Nahibaloan usab nga aduna nay pipila ka mga aplikante ang na hired na on the spot diin sila gikatakda ng mobiya sa nasod pagkahuman sa ilang visa.

Si Ms. Marsia Sedicon ang Manager sa M & M Placement International Incorporated mipadangat sa iyang dakong pasalamat ngadto na kang Surigao City Mayor Ernesto Matugas sa pagsuporta ug paghatag kaniya ug higayon nga makapahigayon sa pagpang-recruit isip tabang sa mga Surigaonon nga gustong motrabaho sa gawas sa nasod ug siya nanghinaot usab nga sila makapahigayon pa pag usab ug samang kalihukan.

Ug siya usab nagbutyag nga sa umaabot nga bulan sa Hulyo sila mag-abli sa ilang branch office sa Surigao ug kini epahimutang didto sa Surigao City Terminal.
(Surigao City-PIO/PIA-Surigao del Norte)

.
Cebuano News: Gusto na namo’ng mupauli - Mamanwa

SURIGAO CITY, June 7 (PIA) - Sa miaging mga adlaw, niadtong Hunyo 2, 2011 sa alas 10:30 ang takna sa kabuntagon ni bisita gyud dayon ang mga kasundalohan ubos sa kamanduan sa presinsya ni 1LT Joe Patrick Martinez, Commanding Officer sa 42nd CMO Campany, Philippine Army didto sa mga evacuees nga nahimutang sa Sitio Bacud, Brgy. Luna, Surigao City.

Unya iya dayong nahinabi ang maong Datu Leader sa igsoon natong mga lumad nga mao si Datu Lando Anlagan nga lumolopyo sa Sitio Zapanta Valley, Agusan del Norte. Sigon sa pamahayag ni Datu Lando Anlaga siya nagkanayon nga buot na gyud sila mopauli sa ilang lugar kay gimingaw na sila sa ilang mga kahayopan ug ilabi nagyud sa ilang mga panguma o pananum.

Namahayag usab ang kauban pa niyang mga lumad, nga ngano man nga gedala man kami sa Sitio Bacud, Barangay Luna, Surigao City nga wala man kami maanad, ug nasinati ug labaw pa layo na kayo kami sa among pinoy-anan.

Si Col. Rodrigo Diapana, ang 402nd Brigade Commander sa iyang pamahayag nagkanayon nga ila gyud tabangan kining mga igsuon nga mga lumad, “we will help these IDPs in coordination with the LGUs of Agusan del Norte and Surigao del Norte for their safe return at sitio Zapanta Valley as soon as possible” si Col Diapana nagkanayon. (42nd CMO, PA/PIA-Surigao del Norte)