(PAGASA 24-HOUR PUBLIC WEATHER FORECAST as of Friday, 22 May 2026) Easterlies affecting the country. Easterlies ang makaapekto sa rehiyon sa Caraga.


Wednesday, February 20, 2019


AgNor PDRRMC holds camp management training

By Nora L. Molde

BUTUAN CITY, Feb. 20 (PIA) - The Disaster Response Committee of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC) of the province of Agusan del Norte will hold a three-day Training of Trainers (ToT) on Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) on April 8 to 10, 2019 here.

According to Silver Joy Tejano, vice chairperson of the Response Committee and Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office, the activity will help the council and concerned personnel on CCCM.

The activity also aims to provide life preservation and meet the basic subsistence needs of affected population in the province of Agusan del Norte based on acceptable standards during and immediately after a disaster.

PDRRMO chief Erma Suyo also said that the training will help concerned personnel and officials develop and implement standard operating procedures on response levels.

The training is an avenue for skills development, capability-building and establish an institutional mechanism for disaster response operation to its committee members, Suyo added.

The ToT will be participated in by more than 50 focal persons from different offices and municipalities of the province. (NCLM/PIA Agusan del Norte)

DOH-CHD Caraga intensifies immunization drive against measles

By Venus L. Garcia

BUTUAN CITY, Feb. 20 (PIA) - Aside from the parental care and protection given by the parents to their children, the government and the Department of Health - Center for Heath Development (DOH-CHD) Caraga still want to ensure that they will not acquire measles and suffer from its complications.

Latest data from the DOH-CHD Caraga showed that from January 1 to February 14 this year, there are 159 cases of measles recorded in the entire region, of which Surigao City has the higest number of 52 cases; 32 in the province of Agusan del Sur; 29 in Surigao del Norte; 24 in Surigao del Sur; seven in Dinagat Islands; six in Agusan del Norte; and other nine cases in different cities.

Since DOH-CHD Caraga noted an upward trend in the number of individuals affected with measles, it has intensified its campaign in the region to curb increasing cases of this communicable disease.               

“Our local health offices have already conducted a house to house visit for immunizing six to 59 months children as our targets individuals for immunization,” said Dr. Jose Llacuna, Jr., DOH-CHD Caraga regional director.

Llacuna said that measles is a highly contagious virus and can spread to others through coughing and sneezing.

Common signs and symptoms for suspected measles typically include fever, runny nose, cough, red eyes and sore throat, followed by a rash that spread all over the body.

“It may be a self limiting disease but what we fear most is the complication that sets in, and notably these are pneumonia, encephalitis and diarrhea which can cause dehydration,” Llacuna said.

He, however, admitted that there is a certain decline in the immunization rate last year particularly in the areas where many measles cases were reported, the reason why the DOH-CHD Caraga is appealing to the parents to have their children vaccinated.

According to Llacuna, immunization remains the most effective means of prevention of infectious diseases such as measles.

“So, I am calling all the parents to go to the regional health units (RHUs) to have their children vaccinated. We can assure you of accessible supplies and adequate vaccines,” he added.

Measles fast lanes were also activated in hospitals intended for patients with suspected cases of measles.

Also, the DOH-CDH and Department of Education (DepEd) Caraga are set to conduct a selective immunization, targeting Grade I to Grade VI pupils.

When you get vaccinated, you’re protecting yourself and your family, said Llacuna. (VLG/PIA-Caraga)

75IB, CHO collect 100 blood bags in Bislig City

By Nida Grace P. Barcena

Bloodletting activity at Gaisano Capital-Bislig City spearheaded by the 75IB in partnership with LGU Bislig through the City Health Office. (75IB Photo)
BISLIG CITY, Surigao del Sur, Feb. 20 (PIA) - The 75th Infantry “Marauder” Battalion, in partnership with the city government of Bislig through the City Health Office (CHO), has accumulated 100 bags of blood during the conduct of the bloodletting activity held at the Gaisano Capital, Mangagoy, Bislig City on February 15, 2019.

Anchored on the theme “Dugong Handog Para sa Kapayapaan,” the activity aims to motivate and create awareness among the people on the importance of blood donation.

The spirit of volunteerism also exuded from the good-hearted individuals who joined the activity.

Government employees, stakeholders, reservist and representatives from civic organizations such as Philippine National Police (PNP), Fraternal Eagle’s Club, Tau Gamma Fraternity, Gaisano Capital-Bislig City, City Health Office, BIslig District Hospital (BDH), University of Southeastern Philippines (USP), Southern Technological Institute of the Philippines (STIP), Traffic Management Group (TMG) participated in the event.

75IB commanding officer Lt. Colonel Jaime Datuin donates blood during the bloodletting activity at Gaisano Capital-Bislig City on February 15, 2019. (Photo credit to 75IB)
The volunteers and  donors have rendered their time and effort during the activity with a goal to help in saving lives, said Captain Edwin Leo Francisco, Civil Military Operations Officer of 75IB.

Meanwhile, Lt. Col Jaime Datuin, 75IB commanding officer, expressed his gratitude to those who participated the event.

“I am very grateful for your support. Your gesture of generosity through blood donation manifests your care and love to our fellow citizens. Thus, I also encourage everyone to show great concern in many ways for the good and welfare of our community,” said Datuin. (PIA-Surigao del Sur)

Tuesday, February 19, 2019


Caraganons join in a massive river cleanup

By Venus L. Garcia

BUTUAN CITY, Feb. 19 (PIA) - Volunteers from private and government sectors, including the students from the entire region, flocked at the identified sites through a solidarity walk to join the region-wide simultaneous River Clean-Up activity spearheaded by the Department of Envi­ronment and Natural Resources-Caraga.

There, they started collecting piles of trash and overflowing man-made marine debris.

These have made some of the creeks and rivers in Caraga region appeared to be a garbage dumpsite due to improper practice of waste disposal among the locals.

“My group is glad to be part of this noteworthy undertaking. We are doing this wholeheartedly for our environment and the people because we believe that a healthy environment starts with a clean surroundings,” said Job Marfa of the Karancho, Inc.

DENR Caraga regional director lawyer Felix Alicer said the activity is in compliance with the directive of Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu after seeing an outstanding outcome of the rehabilitation done in Boracay, and currently, in Manila Bay.

“The value of this ex­ercise is the message that it carries that we wanted to emphas­ize to the residents living close to the creeks and rivers, that it is also their responsibility to manage the solid wa­ste. It is not only the responsibility of the DENR, local government units (LGUs) and government agencies but it would take the whole community to address the problem on solid waste,” Alicer said.

Alicer added that they will do an assessment and determine the pollution sources within the community in order to implement specific course of action to address the problem.

He also encouraged the public to practice and apply proper solid waste management. (VLG/PIA-Caraga)

Monday, February 18, 2019


Mga Caraganon nakilahok sa simultaneous river cleanup

By Venus L. Garcia

LUNGSOD NG BUTUAN, Pebrero 18 (PIA) - Sa pangunguna ng Department of Environment and Natural Resources o DENR Caraga ay nagsama-sama ang mga Caraganon para sa simultaneous ‘River Clean-Up’ sa buong rehiyon.

Madaling araw pa ay dumagsa na ang mga volunteers mula sa pribadong sektor, iba't-ibang ahensya ng gobyerno at pati na rin mga estudyante at sabay-sabay na nagtungo sa clean-up sites sa pamamagitan ng solidarity walk at pagkatapos ay sinimulan ang puspusang paglilinis ng mga estero at ilog.

Ang nasabing aktibidad ay isinagawa sa mga lugar kung saan nagmistulang tambakan ng mga basura dahil sa hindi tamang pagtatapon ng iilang mga residente.

Ayon kay Atty. Felix Alicer, regional director ng DENR-Caraga, ang gawain na ito ay alinsunod na rin ng direktiba ng environment secretary Roy Cimatu matapos makita ang magandang resulta sa isinagawang rehabilitasyon ng Boracay at ngayon ng Manila Bay.

“Alam naman natin na hind ito ang agarang solusyon sa problema ng solid waste sa rehiyon at ng bansa ngunit ibig natin na iparating ang mensahe na hindi lang responsibilidad ng mga lokal na pamahalaan, DENR at iba pang ahensya ng gobyerno ang solid waste management kundi ng bawat isa,” sabi ni Alicer.

May ilan-ilan ding mga volunteers ang nakilahok sa simultaneous clean-up.

“Kami po sa Karancho Inc. ay nakikiisa sa activity na ito sa paglinis sa mga estero at mga ilog. Ito ay buong puso naming isinasagawa para sa ating kapaligiran at bayan,” sabi ni Job Marfa, liaison officer ng Karancho, Inc.

Ayon naman kay Edy-Ann Arorong, mag-aaral ng Saint Joseph Institute of Technology, ikinatuwa niya at ng kanyang mga kaklase na naging parte sa nasabing aktibidad.

“Masaya kami na may naiambag para linisan ang mga estero upang maiwasan ang problema ng pagbaha kapag aapaw ito tuwing uulan,” sabi ni Arorong.

Malaki rin ang naitulong ng mga pulis at sundalo.

“Masaya kaming nakilahok sa napakagandang adbokasiya ng DENR. Hinihikayat namin ang lahat ng mamamayan na makilahok sa ganitong proyekto ng gobyerno para malinis na estero at ilog ang madadatnan ng mga kabataan sa susunod pang mga henerasyon.”ayon kay 2Lt. Mary Rose Dela Cruz,

Samantala, ayon naman kay DENR-Caraga regional director Atty. Felix Alicer, ang gawain na ito ay alinsunod na rin ng direktiba ng environment Secretary Roy Cimatu matapos makita ang magandang resulta sa isinagawang rehabilitasyon ng Boracay at ngayon ng Manila Bay.

“Ang kahalagahan ng aktibidad ay ang mensaheng dala nito kung saan nais nating iparating sa mga residenteng nakatira malapit sa mga estero at ilog na responsibilidad din nila ang tamang pangangasiwa ng mga basura. Kinakailangan ang kooperasyon ng buong komunidad,” dagdag pa ni Alicer.

Ayon sa opisyal ay susundan ito ng kanilang ahensya ng assessment at aalamin kung anu-ano ang pollution sources ng bawat komunidad at kung paano ito masosolusyunan. Hinikayat din niya ang publiko na sanayin ang tamang solid waste management. (VLG/PIA-Caraga)