(PAGASA 24-HOUR PUBLIC WEATHER FORECAST as of Thursday, 05 December, 2019) Today, the center of TS "TISOY" was estimated at 540 km West of Subic, Zambales (14.8N,115.3E) with maximum sustained winds of 65 km/h near the center and gustiness of up to 80 km/h. It is moving West Northwest at 15 km/h. Mindanao will have partly cloudy to cloudy skies with isolated rainshowers due to Localized Thunderstorm. Moderate to strong winds from Northeast to Southeast with moderate to rough seas. PAGASA/jpf

Thursday, August 8, 2019

Butuan youth leaders support 'Dismiss Disinformation'

By Nora L. Molde

BUTUAN CITY, Aug. 7 (PIA) -- Youth leaders from the different barangays in this city have expressed their support to the government to be an instrument and advocate of truth through its advocacy dubbed as “Youth for Truth” (YFT).

In a caravan held in the city participated by the youth leaders composed of Sangguniang Kabataan chairpersons, representatives, and student leaders, Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) officials have shared how the youth could contribute to stop the spread of fake news and to dismiss disinformation in the area.

Pia Roces Morato, PCOO media adviser on Dismiss Disinformation campaign presented a way to check or discern a sound news against fake ones.

She said that recipients should examine the 5Cs or the Content, the Context, the identity of the Communicator, the intent of the Creator and possible Consequence the information it has.

“It is very important to know these 5Cs because these will provide us the guidance to the information we are going to share,” Morato said. Sharing the correct, truthful and right information is all that we need, she added.

Also, PCOO Director and YFT Program Head Vinci Beltran said that focusing on the youth is what they need because of the greatest energy and the strongest voice they have.

“You have the teachable heart and you will contribute much to the society,” she said.

“As observed, the spread of fake news and disinformation is very rampant in social media these days, youth are the primary users of the platform, so they are also expected to dismiss disinformation through their responsible use of the channels,” Beltran added.

Beltran invited the youth to be part of the YFT Circle, and submit their content and video blogs to the YFT via Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/YouthforTruthPH/.

For her part, Nicole Namuco, host of the YFT radio program aired over Radyo Pilipinas every Friday from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. encouraged the youth leaders to be an active partner, and share their advocacies and programs in the circle.

The YFT program is an alliance of organizations and individuals to help Dismiss Disinformation campaign of the government. It is an open line to get information form the people through the youth. (NCLM/PIA Caraga)

DOH Caraga seeks public support to stop dengue 

By Nora L. Molde

BUTUAN CITY, Aug. 8 (PIA) -- The Department of Health (DOH) Caraga calls on the public to help stop the spread of dengue in the region.

According to DOH Caraga Assistant Regional Director Dr. Gerna Manatad, the department has recorded a total of 7,010 dengue cases from January 1 to August 3, 2019.

This is 162.1% higher compared to the same period last year with only 2,675 cases. 

Based on the data, as of August 3, there were eight barangays in the region that were identified as dengue hotspot areas to include the barangays of Abilan in Buenavista; Pinanaan, Las Nieves in Agusan del Norte; Daywan, Claver, Surigao del Norte; Maligaya, Rosario in Agusan del Sur; and Canlanipa, Luna, Washington and San Juan in Surigao City, Manatad said.

“One effective way to stop the spread of dengue is to practice the four o’clock habit, search and destroy the breeding sites of the dengue-carrying mosquitos and to always perform the 4S strategy against dengue," says Manatad.

The 4-S strategy stands for “Search and destroy” mosquito-breeding sites, employ “Self-protection measures” (i.e. wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts, and daily use of mosquito repellent), “Seek early consultation”, and “Support fogging/spraying” only in hotspot areas where increase in cases is registered for two consecutive weeks to prevent an impending outbreak.

Manatad also says that they have coordinated with the local government units (LGUs), Department of Education and other government and private offices to perform the simultaneous clean-up activity to continue the campaign to stop dengue in the different areas of the region.

"We are also constantly monitoring the LGUs on dengue cases and as of today, the region is in the below alert threshold level status on dengue cases," says Manatad. (NCLM/PIA Caraga)  

AgNor town declares Reds persona non grata

By 1Lt. Roel T. Maglalang

BUTUAN CITY, Aug. 8 -- The local government unit of Buenavista, Agusan del Norte has declared the Communist New People’s Army Terrorists (CNTs) and their allied organizations persona non grata (PNG) on July 29, 2019.

The declaration was made through Municipal Resolution Number 01-2019 issued on July 16, 2019.

Buenavista mayor Norbert B Pagaspas stressed that the declaration of PNG is a parallel effort to the military operations.

“The LGU will focus on ensuring the constant and continuous delivery of basic social services and livelihood opportunities in the hinter areas,”  Pagaspas said.

In partnership with the provincial and national leadership, we will build road networks to inaccessible barangays and sitios to get rid of the presence of the armed group hiding thereat, he said.

Meanwhile, Datu Manlig-unan Rolando Lanapan, Indigenous Peoples Mandatory Representative and author of the resolution said that “As the representative of the Higaonon Tribe in Buenavista, I authored a resolution declaring the CNTs as persona non grata."

"Many Higaonon tribal leaders were killed when they failed to support the CNTs. They deceived us and it is but appropriate to declare them as a nuisance in Buenavista,” Lanapan added.

Lt. Col. Francisco L. Molina Jr, Commanding Officer, 23rd Infantry Battalion stated that the declaration made by the LGU of Buenavista is one way of showing that they want peace. 

"And the success of attaining peace rests in everyone's shoulder," Molina added. (CMO Officer, 23IB PA/PIA Agusan del Norte)

SurSur FRs avail coco twine training 

TANDAG CITY, Surigao del Sur, Aug. 8 (PIA) -- A total of 80 former rebels (FRs) and former supporters of the New People's Army terrorist and locals of Sitio Ibuan undergone a coco twine training initiated by the Poverty Reduction, Livelihood and Employment Cluster (PRLEC) of Surigao del Sur (SDS) thru the Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA) held recently in Lanuza town.

The training is part of the PCA's response to the peace and development programs of the PRLEC SDS and the commitment of the cluster during the launching of enterprise development, skills and livelihood program for FRs and the Community last July.

Coco coir is now widely used as basic material in making nets, rolls, and mats as protective covers for soils and slopes.

Data from PCA revealed that coco coir is extensively used to rehabilitate deserts, enhance greens in golf courses and prevent soil erosion in riverbanks and highways.

It is also an excellent growing medium for landscape plants and grasses since the fiber has natural rooting hormones and good water-holding capacity.


“For the longest time, we are thankful to the government and the Army for giving us importance. This training means a lot to us, I can see that the government is serious in their commitment to giving us a better future,” one of the local folks said.

In his statement, 36IB Commanding Officer Lt. Colonel Xerxes Trinidad said the training is just the beginning of the peace and development programs of PRLEC.

“There will be more trainings and livelihood programs to come because this is the government's commitment to the community,” he said.


Trinidad also lauded the PCA personnel for the bold move and efforts to reach out their service to the community.

 “The most important is your acceptance and your commitment to the government to be resilient individuals in order to contribute to the attainment of just and lasting peace in the province,” he said.

PRLEC is one of the 12 government line of efforts which is anchored on President Duterte's Executive Order Number 70 creating the National Task Force to End the Local Communist Armed Conflict or NTF-ELCAC which calls for a Whole-of-Nation approach to attain an inclusive and sustainable peace. (CMO, 36IB/PIA-Surigao del Sur)


Surigao City airport rehab fast-tracked as Andanar intervenes

SURIGAO CITY, Surigao del Norte, Aug. 8 -- The repair and widening of the quake-hit Surigao Airport runway remain on track despite several conflicts faced by the contractors that halted the project for several years as Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar was asked to facilitate it with the Department of Transportation (DOTr).

“For how many months now, tuloy-tuloy po ang aming coordination ni Sec. Art Tugade, ako bilang Surigaonon, and Secretary Art naman bilang Department of Transportation Secretary,” Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Martin Andanar said in a press briefing here on Wednesday as the officials inspected the Surigao Airport runway site and batching site.

“Dahil po sa pakiusap, tuloy na po yung ugnayan namin ni Sec. Art Tugade,” he added.
On June 3 this year, the Provincial Capitol of Surigao Del Norte adopted Resolution No. 103 Series of 2019 asking PCOO Secretary Andanar to intervene in the delayed repair of the Surigao Airport. The Surigao City Chamber of Commerce & Industry Inc. also adopted a resolution on June 15, 2019 seeking the same.


As Andanar sought to fast-track the project, he was given the affirmation by the DOTr to make a catch-up plan to reach full operational capability by February 2020.

“Kahit hindi nasimulan noon, hahabulin po talaga ng DOTr ang mga buwan na hindi nasimulan para po tayo makaabot sa deadline mismo,” the PCOO chief said.

The widening of the Surigao Airport runway began last October 2015, but did not proceed as planned as HERBANA Builders, the contractor for the project then, declared bankruptcy and left the project hanging.

Last February 2017, a 6.7-magnitude earthquake hit Surigao City that damaged the runway, only being able to utilize 1,000 meters from the original 1,700 meters. This led to the suspension of seven weekly Philippine Airlines flights between Manila and Surigao.

While the DOTr already issued a notice to proceed to new contractors Pacific Concrete and VT Lao Construction for the Surigao Airport Development Project and secured fresh funding of P123.5 million from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Fund, the construction did not start promptly.

“Sa kasamaang palad, nagkaroon tayo ng bagyo dito at may mga tulay, limang tulay po ang nasira at hindi ‘ho passable in the sense that nagbigay ang DPWH (Department of Public Works and Highways) para sa kaligtasan ng lahat ng mananakay at sa mga biyahero may limitasyon kung ilan lang ang kayang i-biyahe,” DOTr Assistant Secretary Giovanni Lopez said.

However, Andanar and Lopez agreed that the contractors should set-up a concrete plant and batching plant near the airport to avoid similar delays in the future.

“Totoong naantala. Pero kahit ang original contract duration, which is February 2020, that is non-negotiable. Yan po ang ginagawa natin, ginagawan po ng paraan ngayon. ‘Yan po ang mangyayari, we will deliver on the same period of time regardless of the delay. Reasonable or unreasonable, gagawin po natin yan,” Lopez said.

Lopez said that the runway’s partial operation of up to 1,400 meters is possible by November to resume the operations of seven weekly Manila-Surigao Philippine Airlines flights.


He said that this will accommodate for the high demand of flights in the Christmas season. (PCOO/PIA-Surigao del Norte)

Army recovers anti-personnel landmine in Sursur town

TANDAG CITY, Surigao del Sur, Aug. 8 (PIA) –- The troops of 36th Infantry (Valor) Battalion (36IB), Philippine Army found on Wednesday an anti-personnel landmine while conducting a security patrol in the vicinity of Nabigtaw, Sitio Gacub, Hinapuyan, Carmen, this province.

1st Lt. Jonald D. Romorosa, 36IB Civil-Military Operations (CMO) officer, said that they acted on a tip given from a concerned lumad.

Romorosa said a team from Charlie Company immediately responded and discovered 70 meters wire and other gadgets used as trigger device wires in the said area.

In a statement, 36IB Commanding Officer Lt. Col. Xerxes Trinidad said the Communist Terrorist Groups (CTGs) use landmines on Army troops who are ensuring the peace, development, and delivery of government services to the people.

He said the CTGs’ intent is a clear violation of the Comprehensive Agreement on Respect for Human Rights and the International Humanitarian Law (CARHRIHL).

“This only proves that they really are terrorists, wanting nothing but destruction and blockade of the government’s efforts in bringing peace and development especially to the Lumads who are clear victims of their malicious propaganda,” said Lt. Col. Trinidad.

He added that the Lumads are continuously being enlightened of the CTGs’ interests through the 36IB’s Community Support Programs (CSP).

The lumad communities’ commitment to the Whole-of-Nation approach brought better coordination with the government thru Baranggay Hinapuyan’s declaration of CTGs as persona non grata, Lt. Col. Trinidad noted. (36IB CMO/PIA-Surigao del Sur)

Mga bayan ng Agusan del Norte idineklarang persona non grata ang teroristang CPP-NPA-NDF

By Nora L. Molde

BUTUAN CITY, Agosto 8 (PIA) – Sunod-sunod na ang pagdeklara bilang persona non-grata sa teroristang grupong CPP-NPA-NDF sa iba't-ibang lugar ng Agusan del Norte kasunod ng mga ginawang panggugulo ng grupo sa ilang mga komunidad.

Una ng nagdeklara ang bayan ng Nasipit dahil sa mga hindi makatao at teroristang gawain nito.

Sumunod dito ang bayan ng Buenavista na pinangunahan ni Mayor Norberto Pagaspas na layuning tuldukan ang kanilang mga masasamang gawain sa kanilang lugar para maihatid ang basic health and social services at livelihood  sa mga lugar na apektado ng insurgencies kagaya ng mga barangay ng Sangay, Olave, Simbalan at Guinabsan.

Positibo si Mayor Pagaspas na magkakaroon ng mapayapa at masaganang bayan kung tuluyang mahinto ang mga gawaing terrosista at paglilinlang ng mga ito, at sa pagkakaroon ng magandang road networks ang kanilang bayan.

Ayon kay Lieutenant Colonel Francisco Molina Jr,, Commanding Officer ng 23rd Infantry Battalion, Philippine Army, na unti-unti ng bumababa ang bilang ng mga NPA sa lugar at wala na ring namonitor na recruitment activities sa lugar. 

Mula Enero hanggang Hulyo sa kasalukuyang taon may 27 former rebels at myembro ng Militia ng Bayan ang kasalukuyang nasa Masigasig Happy Homes sa ilalim ng E-CLIP o Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program ng gobyerno.

Suportado naman ng mga indigenous peoples sa pangunguna ni Datu Manlig-unan Rolando Lanapan, ang Indigenous Peoples Mandatory representative at siya na ring author ng resolution upang edeklarang persona non grata ang CPP-NPA-DNF sa bayan ng Buenavista.

Samantala, inaanyayahan din ni Lt. Col. Molina ang mga rebelde na bumalik na sa gobyerno upang magkaroon ng mapayapa at tahimik na pamumuhay. (NCLM/PIA Agusan del Norte)

DOH Caraga patuloy ang imbestigasyon sa pagkamatay ng 9 taong gulang na bata  

By Nora L. Molde

LUNGSOD NG BUTUAN, Agosto 8 (PIA) --  Patuloy  ang   ginagawang imbestigasyon ng Department of Health (DOH) Caraga  sa  pagkamatay ng isang syam na taong gulang na batang babae sa Gigaquit, Surigao del Norte.

Noong Hulyo 23, nakatanggap ang DOH Caraga ng report hinggil sa pagkamatay ng batang babae at sinasabing ang pag inom ng deworming drug ang naging sanhi nito.

Paliwanang  pa ni Dr. Gerna  Manatad, pansamantalang iti
nigil ang deworming activity sa Surigao del Norte  bunsod ng ginagawang imbestigasyon.

Ayon naman kay Regional Director Francis Cesar Bringas ng Department of Education (DepEd) Caraga na naiintindihan nila ang mga sintimyento ng mga magulang hinggil sa deworming activities, ngunit nananawagan ang opisyal na hintayin muna ang resulta ng ginagawang imbestigasyon upang malaman ang totoong kadahilanan ng mga nasabing kaso.

Base sa tala ng ahensya, as of July 31, umabot na sa 81,963 katao ang nakainom ng deworming drugs sa rehiyon, at may mahigit isang libo at anim na daan na ang nakainom sa Gigaquit, Surigao del Norte.

Panawagan ni Dir. Bringas sa lahat na huwag mabahala sa insidenteng ito dahil hindi pa naman napatunayan na ang deworming nga ang dahilan ng pagkamatay ng bata.

Sa kabila nito, puspusan pa rin ang  isinagawang pagpurga sa mga bata  sa mga probinsya ng Caraga region. (NCLM/PIA Caraga)