(PAGASA 24-HOUR PUBLIC WEATHER FORECAST as of Thursday, 23 May 2019) Mindanao will have partly cloudy to cloudy skies with isolated rainshowers due to localized thunderstorms. Light to moderate winds from Northeast to Northwest with slight to moderate seas. PAGASA Mindanao/jaf

Tuesday, January 8, 2019


Fireworks-related injuries down in Caraga

By Nora L. Molde

BUTUAN CITY, Jan. 8 (PIA) – The Department of Health – Center for Health Development (DOH-CHD) Caraga region has recorded a significant decrease of fireworks-related injuries (FRI) during its Aksyon Paputok Injury Reduction (APIR) Campaign from December 21, 2018 to January 5, 2019.

According to DOH-CHD Caraga Regional Director Jose R. Llacuna, Jr., the region only recorded three FRI during the period.

“We believe that our campaign has reached our people well, it was re-echoed by our local government units in the effort to minimize if not put a stop to the FRI in our region," said Llacuna.

According to Llacuna, the cases recorded came from various reporting units in the region. All the three cases were males who were involved in active use of firecrackers in their respective homes.

Two of the cases came from Surigao del Norte while one came from Agusan del Sur and all cases were not under the influence of alcohol during the incident and were sent home after treatment, Llacuna added.

Also, in this year’s APIR campaign, Llacuna said there are no Piccolo-related injuries reported. The three cases were reported on January 1, 2019 – New Year’s Day. The two cases were due to the use of Triangle while one was due to sparkle, he said.

Last year, there were 13 FRI recorded while three for this year, having a very significant decrease of 76.92 percent.

“Although we have not achieved zero case of FRI, we are still thankful to our stakeholders, national line agencies, and most especially our local government units,” Llacuna said.

Llacuna also thanked the parents and those who heeded the call of the department to protect the children against FRI. (NCLM/DOH-Caraga/PIA-Caraga)

NPA's supply cache found in SurSur town

By Nida Grace B. Tranquilan

SAN MIGUEL, Surigao del Sur, Jan. 8 (PIA) – A cache of ammunitions and several materials of the Communist New People’s Army Terrorists (CNTs) were discovered by the Army’s 36th Infantry (Valor) Battalion in Sitio Kiskis, Barangay Siagao, San Miguel town.

Civil-Military Operations (CMO) Officer Captain Francisco Garello Jr. said the troops captured the following materials used by the CNTs: four IED switches, one digital tester, one roll scotch tape, one piece Talk N Text Simpack,  10 pieces Icom commercial radio, two pieces Extra Battery Pack for commercial radio,  two pieces CP charger,  two pieces Nokia cellphone battery, 10 pieces HH Icom antenna, 40 pieces assorted transistors, one piece comb, 56 rounds of 76.2 ball ammo of M14, two M14 empty magazines (Unserviceable); three pouches (Small Size), 11 pcs ballpen; one topographic map, nine pieces notebooks/primers/leaflets, one piece bandolier, four pairs combat boots, one round 60mm mortar (Unserviceable), and one scissor.

According to Capt. Garello, the supply cache owned by the CNTs was kept hidden in the said area, as per information from the concerned citizens in Barangay Siagao.

Lt. Col Xerxes Trinidad, Commanding Officer of the 36IB, said “the successful capture of said supplies is a result of the yearning of the residents to achieve peace and in support to the Army’s commitment to bring normalcy even in the far-flung areas previously influenced by the CPP-NPA Terrorist.” (PIA-Surigao del Sur)