5.22.2016

Friday, May 20, 2016


AgNor election 'generally peaceful'

By Nora C. Lanuza Molde

BUTUAN CITY, May 20 (PIA) – “The conduct of the May 9 national and local elections in the province of Agusan del Norte is peaceful and successful,” Comelec said.

Agusan del Norte provincial election supervisor Atty. Ernie Palanan during the conduct of the Provincial Joint Security Control Center Exit Command Conference and Thanksgiving held Friday here expressed his sincerest gratitude to all the partners/stakeholders for the successful and peaceful conduct of the May 9 election in the province.

“The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) officials' and our teachers' great experiences have made the election successful,” Atty. Palanan said.

On the part of the AFP, 23rd Infantry Battalion (23IB), Phil. Army executive officer LTC Jezreel Diagmel affirmed the statement made by Atty. Palanan that based on their assessment, the conduct of the 2016 national and local elections in their area of responsibility (AOR) is generally peaceful. Diagmel added that a week before the election, their troops were already deployed in the critical areas of the province to ensure that the area will be safe for everybody during the election.

Also, Maj Juanilio Olfindo, Jr. of the 29IB acknowledged the good partnership, constant coordination and early preparation and deployment of security forces to the different polling areas of the province for the successful and peaceful conduct of the election.

The 29IB's AOR covers the municipalities of Remedios T. Romualdez, Tubay, Jabonga, Santiago, Kitcharao, Cabadbaran City and portions of Butuan City while for the remaining areas of the province such as Las Nieves, Buenavista, Nasipit and Carmen towns, and Butuan City are under the 23IB.

According to Agusan Norte police provincial director PSSupt Ronelo Jaurigue, they have successfully provided appropriate security measures from the delivery up to the retrieval of official ballots and Vote Counting Machines (VCMs) from the provincial hubs down to the 155 polling centers in the province.

However, PSSupt Jaurigue also admitted that there are still aspects that need further improvement especially in the field of communication. He also said that intelligence fusion with other intelligence community with regards to rebel atrocities need be addressed.

Deputy city director PSupt Joseph Boquiren of Butuan City Police Office (BCPO) also bared that in an overall assessment, coordination among rightful authorities were carried out appropriately; security measures especially in strategic locations were imposed resulting to a smooth, peaceful and efficient elections. BCPO covers 86 barangays with 296 polling centers.

In his message during today's Exit Command Conference, PNP Caraga regional director PCSupt Rolando Felix said that based on their assessment and as heard from the feedbacks of the general public and media, the conduct of 2016 elections was generally successful. Support elements have collectively coordinated with one another and have done their part well in their areas of competence towards honest, clean and credible elections.

Also, regional election director Renato Magbutay of Commission on Elections (Comelec) Caraga reiterated the several problems encountered during the 2016 elections. However, there is always a room for improvement to rectify and patch up the glitches, he underscored. He also accepted the fact that they have failed to cater the concern of the Department of Education. So far, no formal complaints and protests were received by the Comelec.

Meanwhile, Smartmatic provincial coordinator Jason Mercado also thanked everyone for their understanding as to the lapses and problems encountered during the recently concluded elections. He said that in as much as they wanted to shorten the procedures, skipping important protocols was never an option since accuracy and credibility of results were at stake.

Also during the activity, certificates of recognition were given to the stakeholders for their unrelenting support and cooperation in the peaceful conduct of 2016 national and local elections. Philippine Information Agency Caraga headed by regional director Abner Caga is likewise accorded with the same award for the PIA Caraga team's communication support and intervention. (NCLM/VLG/FEA/PIA-Agusan del Norte)


Police, partners hold medical outreach program in Surigao City

SURIGAO CITY, Surigao del Norte, May 20 (PIA) – The Philippine National Police (PNP) in the city in partnership with the City Health Office, Caraga Regional Hospital (CRH), Barangy Health Workers (BHW) and barangay officials of Poctoy recently conducted a medical, dental and free circumcision dubbed as “Libreng Operation Tuli” held at the covered in Barangay Poctoy, here.

Beneficiaries of the said barangay were able to avail the medical consultation, dental check-up and tooth extraction, and free circumcision for children with complimentary medicines and vitamins.

During the said activity, the CRH through the Hospital Blood Bank Department personnel conducted a blood letting activity.

Meanwhile, City Police Community Relation Officer (PCR) PSI Tessiel R. Moleta and Surigao del Norte Provincial Police Office-Women and Children Protection Desk (WCPD) Officer PSI Elsa G. Montenegro spearheaded an information education campaign through leaflets/flyers distribution and dialogue with the constituents, parents, children and beneficiaries of the said activity.

Moleta and Montenegro also discussed the topics about Gender and Development (GAD) related laws, Children and Youth Welfare Code and health education and awareness. (SCPS-PPO/PIA-Surigao del Norte)


Caraga poll chief tells bets to file SOCE

By Greg Tataro Jr.

TANDAG CITY, Surigao del Sur, May 20 (PIA) - Atty. Renato Magbutay, regional election director (RED) of the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) in Caraga region has reminded all candidates—losers and winners alike—during the May 9, 2016 polls to file their respective Statement of Contributions and Expenditures (SOCE) on or before June 8, 2016.

According to the regional poll chief, “They have to file their Statement of Contributions and Expenditures (SOCE).  So, they have until June 8 to file that.  All candidates—losers and winners.”

“Otherwise, pag ‘yung kandidato hindi mag-submit ng SOCE hanggang June 8. . . one, they will be charged administratively to be filed by the COMELEC—kung first offense that would be P10,000; second offense P15,000.   Ano ‘yan graduated ‘yan. . . hanggang ‘yung penalty maging disqualification to run for public office,” he explained.

Submission should only be done during weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Magbutay clarified, adding that no extension was given.

“For winning candidates,” he warned, “they cannot take their oath of office unless they can show a certification to the DILG that they have complied with the requirement of the SOCE.”

In a related interview, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), this province, confirmed the pronouncements of RED Magbutay.

Provincial Director Pedrito Alacaba said that both agencies had forged a memorandum of agreement (MOA) regarding the requirement for a winning candidate to present a certification from the COMELEC that such filing had been satisfactorily complied with under Section 14 of Republic Act No. 7166.

However, the same director was citing a different deadline—June 9, 2016—contrary to what Atty. Magbutay had stated.

But Alacaba stood his ground and even offered a copy of the Memorandum in this regard.

Moreover, the provincial DILG chief said that the set timeline for SOCE submission of newly-elected officials to their office or any of its attached agencies was June 17, 2016.

Keeping in mind the contents of the memorandum, he said that all newly-elected officials at the provincial, city, and municipal levels should file their SOCEs with the Provincial Director, City Director or CLGOO and MLGOO in their respective areas. (Radyo ng Bayan-Tandag/PIA-Surigao del Sur)