Army officials rally support for SurSur’s developmental milestone
By Venus L. Garcia
BUTUAN CITY, Mar. 9 (PIA) – LtGen Rey Leonardo Guerrero, commander of Eastern Mindanao Command representing Gen. Hernando Delfin Carmelo Iriberri, Armed Forces of the Philippines’ chief of staff and guest of honor conveyed on Tuesday his sincere gesture of appreciation to the government officials, prime movers, constituents, and all other community members of Surigao del Sur province who earnestly and conscientiously worked together in achieving a historic milestone through an official declaration as conflict manageable and ready for further development province.
According to LtGen Guerrero, the declaration forms part of the normalization process wherein the local government units take active participation for relevant endeavors in pursuit of attaining peace and development.
"Within the spectrum of insurgency, the declaration of Surigao del Sur province as conflict manageable and ready for further development marks the initial stage wherein obvious reduction of insurgency cases and decrease of violence are evident. Clearly, this is an indication that regional developmental efforts are best demonstrated," enunciated LtGen Guerrero.
In a press briefing, when asked on the basis on the declaration of the province/city as conflict manageable and ready for further development, commander of 4th Infantry Division MGen Oscar Lactao specified the reduction of NPA members, noteworthy performance of functioning government elected officials, and the willful minds of the inhabitants of the province to create a peaceful community hold an imperative criteria in the quest for peace and security.
"It is a whole of a nation approach. The same declaration started with the province of Dinagat Islands, followed by Surigao del Norte, Agusan del Sur and now the province of Surigao del Sur. Also, Agusan del Norte and Butuan City will soon be declared. We hope to improve more the stages of curbing insurgency," emphasized MGen Lactao.
Meanwhile, 402nd brigade commander Col Isidro Purisima recalled that “with the augmentation of army battalions, cooperation of support elements and special forces, the journey towards peace, progress and prosperity is not far from attaining.”
"Since April of last year, we have 87 surrenderers from the rebel group and around 53 high and low powered firearms were recovered. As of today, more or less 200 NPA members are still taking part in the anti-government activities. We know we have several issues to look into but our concern of ending the insurgency problem in the region is a challenge worth spending our time and efforts,’’ said Col Purisima.
In the signing ceremony of Memorandum of Agreement, governor Pimentel represented the province of Surigao del Sur; MGen Lactao, together with commander of Eastern Mindanao Command LtGen Guerrero and commander of 402nd Brigade Col Purisima represented the army; and Philippine National Police (PNP) Caraga regional director PCSupt Rolando Felix for the PNP. (VLG/PIA-Caraga)
SurSur guv to AFP: “Crush insurgents!”
By Greg Tataro Jr.
TANDAG CITY, Surigao del Sur, Mar. 9 (PIA) – Governor Johnny Pimentel, this province, made an appeal to the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) for a “non-stop” military operations against the New People’s Army (NPA) during the Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) signing declaring Surigao del Sur as “Conflict Manageable and Ready for Further Development Province” on Tuesday, March 8.
“I appeal to the military that they will not stop to continue their military operations until insurgents will be crushed,” he said.
In his message before attendees of the occasion held at the Grand Ballroom of the Villa Maria Luisa (VML) Hotel here comprised of various sectors in the society, including former rebels (FRs), Governor Pimentel admitted to being envious of other provinces like Bohol which now enjoys the status of being insurgency-free province. “Bohol was a war-torn province before,” Pimentel added.
With the MOA, of which the governor was one of the three major signatories/parties together with Col. Isidro Purisima, 402nd Infantry Brigade commander and P/SSupt. Romaldo Bayting, PNP provincial director, he was glad to note about making “another milestone” in the fight against the lingering insurgency problem in Surigao del Sur that had started way back in 1979.
“Since then, we have had so many casualties, we have had so many properties damaged, we have had so many constituents who have died in this battle,” Pimentel recalled.
But declaring the province as “Conflict-Manageable and Ready for Further Development was a welcome development, he stressed, adding that “Today, we make another milestone with our effort to promote stability in the peace and order situation of the province of Surigao del Sur.”
“Actually this is only the first step. Our dream. . . our long awaited dream, which we want to realize, is to become an insurgency-free province,” the provincial chief executive said.
“So let us join hands, let us go together—the government side, the private sector, and the military—to attain this objective,” Pimentel urged.
During the historic event, Lt. Gen. Rey Leonardo Guerrero, commander, Eastern Mindanao Command (EMC); Maj. Gen. Oscar Lactao, commander, 4th Infantry Division (4ID), and P/CSupt. Rolando Felix, regional director, Police Regional Office(PRO) 13, all came together to officially witness the signing ceremony alongside with their civilian counterparts—Vice-Governor Manual Alameda, Sr., Sangguniang Panlalawigan member Henrich Pimentel and DILG Provincial Director Pedrito Alacaba.
However, AFP Chief of Staff General Hernando Iriberri, who hails from Surigao del Sur, was not able to make it “due to very important commitment,” as announced by the program host, Ace Orcullo, assistant provincial secretary to the Sangguniang Panlalawigan. To fill his shoes, Iriberri was ably represented by Lt. Gen. Guerrero, his EMC chief, who read his keynote speech.
“Today’s ceremonial declaration of the province of Surigao del Sur as conflict manageable and ready for further development, is a fitting tribute to what the joint efforts of committed stakeholders can do for peace and progress,” the AFP chief’s impressive opening message went on.
After reading entirely the whole speech, Lt. Gen. Guerrero was also able to share his “personal note,” saying “Allow me to thank and congratulate the Honorable Governor, Gov. Johnny T. Pimentel for this opportunity and the whole of Surigaonons, the people of Surigao del Sur, for reaching this significant milestone in the history of the province. Just like the governor, I appeal and enjoin everyone to continue to work harder and collaborate even stronger for us to not only be able to sustain the gains that we have achieved so far, but also to prosecute our ideas, our vision of having Surigao del Sur as an insurgency-free province.”
Meanwhile, MGen. Lactao told media during the press briefing that most of the provinces of Caraga region (Dinagat Islands, Surigao del Norte, Agusan del Sur, and Surigao del Sur) had already been declared “Conflict Manageable and Ready for Further Development Province,” adding that Agusan del Norte, together with Butuan City, is set to be accorded the same status on March 14. (NGBT/Radyo ng Bayan-Tandag/PIA-Surigao del Sur)
DILG chief announces Barangay BUB in Caraga
By Don Manuelo O. Patrimonio
BUTUAN CITY, Mar. 9 (PIA) - “Gone are the days when local governments had to beg for funding from national government agencies to be able to implement projects just because their Internal Revenue Allotments are insufficient. This year, funds are downloaded to all cities and municipalities, regardless of political affiliations, through the Bottom-Up Budgeting (BUB). And come next year, barangays will have their share of funds from the coffers of the national government through the Barangay BUB.”
This was the statement of Interior Secretary Mel Senen S. Sarmiento during the rounds of Barangay BUB Planning Workshops in Prosperidad, Agusan del Sur and Surigao City, Surigao del Norte last March 4 and 5, respectively, conducted by the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) in coordination with the Department of Budget and Management (DBM).
A similar activity was conducted for Butuan City and Agusan del Norte in March 3, but Sec Sarmiento was unable to join the group.
Other cabinet secretaries briefly joined the Barangay BUB Planning Workshop, coming from their separate activity for the People’s Dialogue for the administration’s Daang Matuwid program. Department of Health (DOH) Secretary Janet Garin announced the upcoming programs of the DOH for the Barangays during the Agusan del Norte leg at LJ Mega, this city on March 3, and DBM Secretary Florencio Abad personally explained the rationale and background of the Barangay BUB in the Surigao del Norte leg in Simtoco Building, Surigao City.
In attendance during the three separate activities were the 86 Punong Barangays of Butuan City and 167 of Agusan del Norte; 314 of Agusan del Sur; and 335 of Surigao del Norte, respectively, together with the City and Municipal Local Government Operations Officers of the three DILG Provincial Offices concerned. They were personally welcomed by the governors of each of the three provinces who also gave the statements of purpose, i.e. Gov. Ma. Angelica Rosedell M. Amante-Matba of Agusan del Norte, Gov. Adolph Edward G. Plaza of Agusan del Sur, and Gov. Sol F. Matugas of Surigao del Norte.
The primary discussant in the sessions was Executive Director Karen Villanueva of the DBM’s Meaningful and Direct Downloads. Director Villanueva discussed in detail the mechanics on how the Barangays can access the Barangay BUB funding in 2017 by working out this year the requirements of the program.
Director Villanueva noted that for the first round, only about 12,000 of the 42,035 barangays (or 30%) in the whole country can access the fund in 2017 and emphasized the criteria for selection of the qualified barangays are: (1) compliance to the Barangay Full Disclosure Policy; (2) presence of Barangay Development Plan; (3) conduct of participative barangay assembly; and (4) capacity to implement and their track record in leadership and financial management. (DILG-Caraga/PIA-Caraga)
Dinagat Islands PHO spearheads 'Range of Motion Exercises' training
SAN JOSE, Dinagat Islands, Mar. 9 (PIA) – The provincial government of Dinagat Islands thru the Provincial Health Office conducted recently a two-day training on Range of Motion Exercises for Senior Citizens and Parents of Children with Disabilities held at the Provincial Guest Center, Brgy. Cuarinta, San Jose, this province.
The said activity aims to educate the participants with regards to the dynamics of children with disability; acquire skills on range of motion exercises specially the senior citizens; and share their learning experiences and insights from other parents who have children with disabilities and to elderly.
They are the main benefeciaries of this activity considering that they have the less access to health care services and therefore experience unmet health care needs.
It was learned that the training can also help them acquire new knowledge for disease prevention and promote good practices for healthy living. (Provincial Information Office, Dinagat Islands/PIA-Dinagat Islands)
Cebuano News: Community Praise and Worship seminar malampusong gipahigayon
Ni Mary Jul Escalante
SURIGAO CITY, Surigao del Norte, Mar. 9 (PIA) – Malampuson nga gipahigayon ang usa ka Community Praise and Worship seminar kagahapon nga adlaw Marso 8, 2016 sa Provincial Convention Center, ning dakbayan.
Mokabat sa 800 ka mga kababainhan gikan sa 20 ka mga barangay sa syudad.
Ang maong programa nahiayon sa selebrasyon sa bulan sa mga kababainhan ug sa value formation nga programa ubos sa HEALS plus (health, education, agri-aquculture, livelihood, spiritual renewal) agenda sa probinsya.
Sa mensahe ni Gobernador Sol F. Matugas, siya nagkanayon nga agig pagpangandam sa umaabot nga kwaresma, dili lamang ang mga material nga butang ang atong atubangon kon apan importante usab ang panginahanglan sa atong kalag o espito diin kini apil sa iyang HEALS plus agenda nga mao ang ‘Spirituality’.
Sa sangyaw espituhanon ug sa iyang pagpamalandong atol sa Misa Pasalamat si Fr. Toto Tiu pasalamat sa programa ni Gob. Matugas diin kalakip niini ang espirituhaong aspeto sa tanang mga aktibidadis sa probinsya tungod kay siya usa man ka relihiyosa ug matinud-anon nga deboto ni Mama Mary. (PGO-PIC/PIA-Surigao del Norte)