Comelec gives plaque of appreciation to PIA Caraga chief, other election partners
By Fryan E. Abkilan
BUTUAN CITY, June 12 (PIA) – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) Butuan City awarded on Wednesday, Philippine Information Agency (PIA) Caraga Regional Director Abner Caga and other election partners plaques of appreciation in recognition of their invaluable support and cooperation that greatly contributed in the successful conduct of the May 13, 2013 National and Local elections.
The event, which was held at Guingona Park, formed part of the 115th Philippine Independence Day celebration of the city.
Lawyer Ernie Palanan, city election officer, was assisted by City Mayor Ferdinand Amante, Jr. in awarding Caga for being an active partner in providing accurate, timely and relevant election-related information to the public.
Also given recognitions by the Comelec for their valuable efforts in making the election orderly and peaceful were Schools Division Supt. Josita Carmen of DepEd Butuan City Division, Butuan City Police Office City Director PSSupt. Nerio Bermudo, 9th Special Forces Company 35FBN Commanding Officer Capt. Emilio Bautista, DepEd Butuan City PIO Israel Reveche, DPWH Regional Director Danilo Versola, City Fire Marshall FInsp. Alric Gomez, Samahang Magdalo Agusan del Norte Coordinator Michael Torralba, Public Employment Service Office-Butuan City, Boy Scout of the Philippines, Parish Pastoral Council for Responsible Voting (PPCRV), Legal Network for Truthful Elections (LENTE) of Father Saturnino Urios University and National Citizens’ Movement for Free Elections (NAMAFREL). (FEA/PIA-Caraga)
Tandag City celebrated 115th Philippine Independence day yesterday
By Nida Grace B. Tranquilan
TANDAG CITY, Surigao del Sur, June 13 (PIA) – The local government here spearheaded the conduct of the activity to commemorate the 115th Philippine Independence Day held at the city hall ground.
The activity started at around 6 a.m. with a thanksgiving mass held at the San Nicolas Cathedral.
Immediately after the mass, a short program was conducted highlighting the raising of the Philippine national flag witnessed by public officials, government employees from both national and local, private sectors and students joined the celebration.
In his message, City Administrator Aldy Novo cited the brief history of the 1st Philippine Independence day, saying that the freedom that we achieved from the colonial rule of the Spaniards is God’s gift.
“We are going to celebrate the freedom that we achieved from the colonial rule of the Spanish conquistadors, and the freedom that we all know is a God’s gift”, he said in his message.
Novo further said there is a need for us to celebrate and we are going to value this yearly occasion.
Meanwhile, Jacinto P. Elpa National High School (JPENHS) – Special Program for Arts (SPA) students presented a daance prelude featuring the 1st Independence Day, while teachers from Tandag II District entertained the audience with a folk dance. (NGBT/PIA Surigao del Sur)
Fishermen in Siargao asked to preserve and protect marine lives
By Eric F. Gallego
SURIGAO CITY, June 13 (PIA) - Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR-13) OIC Regional Executive Director Nonito M. Tamayo on Thursday exhorted all the fishermen in the rich-fishing town of Siargao in Surigao del Norte to preserve and protect the marine resources amidst a growing tourism industry in the area.
Tamayo made a strong advise following the release into the sea of a Pacific green turtle (Chelonia mydas) in a simple ceremony held at the port of Dapa in Siargao.
“I am happy to know that the fishermen in this remote island have improved their level of awareness on marine life protection in the midst of a booming tourists owing to the surfing sports and game fish activities in this place.”
The Pacific green turtle was apparently caught entangled on the net of a fisherman who was fishing on weekend near the shore of Barangay Union, in Dapa, Surigao del Norte at sunrise. “I thought I caught a big fish after I felt the net was too heavy only to find it was a sea turtle,” Maximo Sunday, 56, a resident of Barangay Union said.
The fisherman said that he quickly thought of the DENR authorities when he learned of the hapless giant turtle trapped on his fishing net.
CENR Officer Teodoro Abucejo said the green turtle must have laid eggs on the beach and probably returning back to her feeding sites when it was entangled on the fishing net. He said the DENR put a tag on the flip of the turtle before it was released back to the sea.
RED Tamayo gave a cash reward to the fisherman in a show of compassion to the poor fisherman who wished that his worn out net be replenished to earn a living.
Green sea turtles migrate long distances between feeding sites and nesting sites; some swim more than 2,600 kilometers to reach their spawning grounds. Mature turtles often return to the exact beach from which they hatched. Females usually mate every two to four years. Males, on the other hand, visit the breeding areas every year, attempting to mate. In the tropics, green turtles nest throughout the year, although some sub-populations prefer particular times of the year. (FEA/DENR-13/PIA-Caraga)
Tagalog News: DOLE pinaaalahanan ang pribadong sektor ng tamang pasahod noong araw ng kasarinlan
Ni David M. Suyao
AGUSAN DEL SUR, Hunyo 13 (PIA) - Sa pagunita ng ika 115 araw ng kasarinlan, pinaaalahanan ng kalihim ng Labor at Employment na si Rosalinda Dimapilis-Baldoz ang pribadong sektor na nagmamay-ari ng mga pagawaan ng tamang batas tungkol sa pasahod ng mga manggagawa noong Miyerkoles, Hunyo 12.
“Tamang pagtupad ng batas ukol sa pasahod para sa mga manggagawa araw-araw, lalo na sa pagunita ng araw ng kalayaan ay isang mabuting gawain para sa mga mamamayan. Ito ay ambag natin sa pag palakas ng bansa,” sabi ni Baldoz na kanyang inulit ukol sa pagbayad ng sahod para sa Hunyo 12.
Ang paalaala na nagpatupad sa Sec. 3 ng Proklamasyon 459- lalo na sa arfaw ng kalayaan na ipinalabas noong Agosto 12, 2012 ni Pangulong Benigno S. Aquino III ay nag deklara ng regular na mga holiday, espesyal (walang trabaho) na mga araw at espesyal na holiday para sa mga mag-aaral para sa taong 2013, ayon sa nakasanayang batas.
“Hinihikayat ko ang mga pribadong sektor na gawin ang boluntaryong pagtupad sa batas ng paggawa, partikular na ang tamang pasahod sa mga manggagawa na pumapasok sa trabaho sa araw ng kalayaan,” sabi ni Baldoz.
Ang naturang batas ay ipapatupad ayon sa mga sumusunod:
• Kung ang empleyado ay hindi pumasok, siya ay babayaran ng 100 porsyento ng kaniyang sahod para sa araw na iyon (Halimbawa ng pagkwenta: [Daily Rate + Cost of Living Allowance, or COLA] x 100%);
• Sa trabahong ginawa sa panahon ng regular na holiday, ang manggagawa ay babayaran ng 200 porsyento ng kanyang regular na sahod para sa araw na iyon sa naunang walong oras ([Daily Rate + COLA] x 200 percent;
• Para sa trabahong ginawa ng lampas saw along oras (overtime work), ang manggagawa ay babayaran ng dagdag na 30 porsyento ng kanyang sahod na bawat oras ang pag kwenta para sa araw na iyon (Hourly Rate of Basic Daily Wage x 200 percent x 130 percent x Number of Hours Worked];
• Para sa trabahong ginawa sa panahon ng regular na holiday na pumasok sa araw ng pamamahinga ng empleyado, siya ay babayaran ng dagdag na 30 porsyento ng kanyang araw-araw na sahod na 200 porsyento (Daily Rate + COLA] x 200 percent] + 30 percent (Daily Rate x 200 percent)]; at
• Para sa trabahong ginawa na lampas saw along oras (overtime work) sa panahon ng regular na holiday na pumasok din sa kanyang araw ng pamamahinga, siya ay babayaran ng 30 porsyento ng kanyang oras-oras na sahod sa natural araw (Hourly Rate of the Basic Daily Wage x 200 percent x 130 percent x 130 percent x Number of Hours Worked).
• Kung may mga katanungan tungkol sa pamamahayag na ito, tumawag lamang sa DOLE call center sa telepono numero 527-8000, o tumawag sa pinakamalapit na DOLE regional office sa inyong lugar (tel. no. 400-62-42 for the DOLE-National Capital Region); or the Bureau of Working Conditions at trunk line 527-3000, local 302. (DMS/PIA-Agusan del Sur)