PIA News Service - Monday, January 14, 2013



CHED-Caraga enjoins HEI to nominate candidates to Thailand training program

By Robert E. Roperos

BUTUAN CITY, Jan. 14 (PIA) -- The regional office of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) in Caraga has enjoined higher education institutions to send nominations to the training programs sponsored by the Thailand International Development Cooperation Agency (TICA).

In a letter addressed to CHED-Caraga Regional Director Dr. Isabela Mahler, CHED Executive Director Atty. Julito Vitriolo said the training program is in coordination with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (Tesda).

Vitriolo added two programs/training courses offered to successful candidates, namely, Training Program in Modern Technology for Sustainable Agriculture System, and Training Courses on Utilizing Indigenous Food Resources for Food Security.

The first program will be conducted on July 8-19 while the duration of the other program is on September 1-27.

Vitriolo said all expenses relative to the participation in the training courses will be borne by TICA.

Applicant must be nominated by the head of the agency. They must have rendered at least two years of service in the government at the time of nomination.

Also, applicant must hold a permanent appointment at the organization nominating her/him, and have obtained at least a very satisfactory performance rating for two consecutive periods preceding the nomination, and must have a college degree and/or sufficient demonstrated ability and experience related/relevant to the course applied for.

The official further said applicant must have no pending administrative and/or criminal case, must have no pending nomination for scholarship in another program/course, must have already rendered the required service obligation for a scholarship previously enjoyed.

Moreover, Vitriolo said applicant must meet the position level, age, education, and experience required and specified by the donor country/organization/course. More importantly, the official said applicants must be physically fit to travel and undergo overseas training.

Deadline of submission is on January 25 for the first program and on March 29 for the second program. Successful applicants will be interviewed on February 14 and April 25, respectively.

All documentary requirements are to be submitted to the Foreign Scholarship Training Program (FSTP) Unit, Pevoti bldg, East Service Road, South Superhighway, Taguig City.

Interested applicants may contact the FSTP at 817-4078 local 221/231 for further details.

According to www.ecdc.net, TICA promotes South-South cooperation and North-South-South cooperation under partnership programmes with other donor countries including non-government organizations and international agencies for development cooperation in developing countries in various regions. (RER/PIA-Caraga)


DILG Caraga joins unity walk for secure, fair elections

By Florian Faith Jr. P. Bayawa

BUTUAN CITY, Jan 14 (PIA) -- The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) in Caraga Region joined the Unity Walk and Prayer Rally for a Secure and Fair Elections (SAFE) 2013.

The unity walk and prayer rally is a kick-off activity, which marks the start of the election period. The early walk yesterday started from Guingona’s Park to Agusan del Norte covered court, this city, to the drum beat of the PNP Band.

In his message, newly-installed Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Getulio P. NapeƱas of this region said the 2013 Elections is a political exercise which must be safe, secure and fair enough. He assured the voters that the PNP together with other agencies involved for the elections will work in unity to achieve a peaceful conduct of the elections.

A lighting of Unity Candles during the prayers offered by various religious leaders in the region was also conducted, participated by DILG, Commission on Elections (COMELEC), Department of Education (DepEd), City Government of Butuan and religious groups.

Atty. April Joy Balano, Provincial Election Supervisor of Agusan del Norte led the signing of the Unity Pledge on behalf of Commission on Elections (COMELEC) Regional Director Francisco G. Pobe to manifest the firm intent of the voters to uphold the integrity of the election process and to elevate the level of maturity of the Filipino electorates by holding candidates to a law-abiding campaign. (RER/DILG-13/PIA-Caraga)


2 POs get multi-million funds

AGUSAN DEL NORTE, Jan. 14 (PIA) -- Two people’s organizations in the province received more than P6 million in livelihood funds from the Department of Agriculture's Mindanao Rural Development Program (MRDP)-Community Fund for Agricultural Development (CFAD).

The funds were turned over to the San Agustin Fisherfolk Organization, Inc. (SAFOI) based in Carmen town for its project worth P4 million pesos and San Vicente Farmers & Fisherfolk Association (SVFFAI) in the municipality of Jabonga for its P2 million-peso project

Sixty percent of the funds came from the World Bank, 20% from the national government through the DA and 20% from the provincial government.

SAFOI will venture into Bangus mariculture in Barangay San Agustin, an area suited for fish culture. The project aims to produce premium quality bangus (milkfish) and expected to address the decline of fish production in Agusan del Norte. Study shows that Caraga region is not self-sufficient in fresh fish which supply and demand gap in the previous years was provided by fish cars from provinces like General Santos and Zamboanga.

SVFFAI, on the other hand, will venture into squid processing and marketing. Residents of Barangay San Vicente, which is one of the coastal barangays of Jabonga, are into fishing and farming. Catching squid is the main activity of fisherfolk making the project very suitable in the area. Funds will be utilized particularly in the construction of a village level squid processing building, procurement of a mechanical dryer, and purchase and installation of a Modified Multi-Commodity Solar Tunnel Dryer.

Its study shows that there is a limited supply of dried squid in the market due to the unavailability of commercial scale processing firm in the locality. Its target markets are wholesale buyers of the cities of Cabadbaran, Davao, Cagayan de Oro and Butuan.

CFAD is among the four major components of the Mindanao Rural Development Program of DA. It was conceptualized as a poverty program for the rural poor, prioritizing the disadvantaged and vulnerable groups such as Indigenous Peoples (IPs), fisherfolks and women-headed households as beneficiaries among the communities’ rural poor population.

Among the many proponents, the two PO’s were chosen by the provincial government after a comprehensive evaluation of the proposals and the suitability of the area.

Speaking before members of the organizations, SP Committee on Agriculture Chairman, Hon. Rey G. Jamboy, encouraged the beneficiaries to be united to bring about change in their community by being successful in this new-found endeavor. With this financial assistance, he hopes to address the diverse needs and investment priorities of rural poor communities, as well as provide poor households the opportunities for food security and increased income from agriculture and fishery production projects.

For his part, Governor Erlpe John M. Amante vows to be an aggressive partner with people groups in the province in the realization of their dreams.

Another people’s group based in the municipality of Buenavista that would venture into rice production is also set to receive funds. (NCLM/LGU-Agusan del Norte/PIA-Agusan del Norte)


Cebuano news: Pres Aquino miingon nga ang mga input sa kumunidad sa mga Chinese-Filipino daku’g tabang sa gobyerno batok sa anti-krimen

Ni Nida Grace B. Tranquilan

SURIGAO DEL SUR, Enero 14 (PIA) -- Si Presidente Benigno Aquino III gidapit ang kumunidad sa Chinese-Filipino aron sa pag-inambitay sa “inputs” kon unsaon sa gobyerno nga mamahimong epektibo ang pakigbugno batok sa kriminalidad nga nahitabo sa nasud.

“Kami naglantaw sa sulusyon nga estratehiya, rasyonal, ug epektibo.” (“We are looking for solutions that are strategic, rational, and effective.)

Sa nasudnong diskusyon nga gipahumatang, ang inyohang mga perspektibo among gidapit,” (In the national discussion that is taking place today, your perspectives are more than welcome,” ) ang Presidete miingon atol sa iyahang pangunang pakigpulong sa 20th anniversary sa Movement for Restoration of Peace and Order (MRPO) nga gipahigayon didto sa Kaisa-Angelo King Heritage Center sa Intramuros, Manila niaadtong Sabado.

“Bisan pa, ang inyohang kalihokan natukod pinasikad sa balaodnong katumanan nga ang mga opisyales ug ang mga katawhan kinahanglan dunay gahom ang matag usa; nga ang parehong pribado ug publiko gikinahanglan mohimo ug aktibong tahas aron padayon ang atong kumunidad nga luwas ug magmalinawon,” (“After all, your movement was founded on the basic premise that law enforcement officials and the citizenry must empower each other; that both the private and public spheres must take active roles in keeping our communities safe and peaceful,”) matud pa niya.

Ang Presidente usab miila sa pinakadakong tahas nga gisagubang sa gobyerno karon ang pag-atubang sa pagsanta sa mga kriminal ug sa paghimo sa kumunidad nga luwas.

Sama pananglitan, matud pa niya nga bisan pa sa pagkunhod sa kinatibuk-ang insidente sa krimen, ang gidaghanon sa krimen sa Metro Manila midaghan gikan tuig 2011 ngadto sa 2012.

Ang gobyerno usab kinahanglang motrabaho ug dugang aron sa pagbaton sa mga syudad ug mga ka-barangayan nga luwas sa krimen partikular na ang dunay kalabutan sa mga armas.

Ang nasud usab nakita ang pagkabanhaw sa gun control nga debate human ang bag-uhay pa lang nga pag atake kalabot ang paggamit ug armas, (The country has also seen the revival of gun control debates following recent attacks related to the use of guns,) siya miingon.

“Ang publiko mopasibaw lamang nga kinahanglan palawoman ang pag-ila sa pagdeterminar kon kini mao ang sulosyon sa maong isyu. Kung ang problema mahitungod sa “Licensed gun owners, or lawless elements?” nga ang total gun ban ba ang tinud’anay nga makasanta sa mga kidnapper, mga mamumuno (murderers), ug mga tulisan, ug mga terorista sa pagkomiter sa mga krimen? Kini ba pangutana nga mopasa sa bag-ong balaod-non, kon dugang nga pagpahugot sa implementasyo sa eksistidong balaod?” (“This public clamor only deepens the necessity of discernment to determine if this will be the solution to the issue. Is the problem about licensed gun owners, or lawless elements? Will a total gun ban really deter kidnappers, murderers, and robbers, and terrorists from committing their crimes? Is it a question of passing new legislation, or more strict implementation of existing laws?” ) siya nagutana.

Ang Presidente miingon sa naunang mga interbyu nga siya dili pabor sa pag imposar sa total gun ban sa nasud. Hinuon, siya misugyot sa estado nga kinahanglan nga agpason ang mga kriminal ug mga pribadong grupo nga armado aron sa pagpugong sa mga bayolente sa armas.

Ang pagpahamatang sa total gun ban dili makapakunhod sa gun-related nga mga bayolente tungod kay ang kriminal dili mutugyan sa ilahang mga hinagiban kon kargada ug kini makahimo lamang sa mga misunod sa balaod nga mga katawhan nga defenseless. (Imposing a total gun ban won’t reduce gun-related violence because outlaws will not yield their weapons and this will only make law abiding citizens defenseless,) Paglalis pa sa Presidente.

Ang Department of the Interior and Local Government gihingusgan na ang ilahang kampanya batok sa loose firearms aron sa pakigbugno sa kriminalidad, matud pa niya. Kini dili lamang mohimo karong tuiga nga midterm eleksyon ngadto sa luwas ug magmalinawon, pero usab mosiguro sa dakong kalinaw ug kahan-ayan sa nasud.

Ang Police usab mihimo ug hugtanong operasyon batok sa mga pribado nga armadong grupo nga kabahin sa gobyernong anti-crime nga kakugi, ang chief executive miingon. (RER/NGBT/PIA-Surigao del Sur)


Cebuano news: Pangulong Aquino pinasidunggang mamumulong sa ika-20th anibersaryo sa Movement for for Restoration of Peace and Order

Ni Susil D. Ragas

SURIGAO CITY, Enero 14 (PIA) -- Si Pangulong Aquino maoy pinasidunggang mamumulong atol sa selebrasyon sa ika-20th anibersaryo sa Movement for Restoration of Peace and Order (MRPO) kagahapon didto sa Intramuros, Manila.

Sa iyang mensahe gipasalamatan sa Pangulo ang maong organisasyon sa padayon nga pagsuporta sa mga pagpaningkamot sa gobyeno sa pagsumpo sa kriminalidad.

Ang Pangulo mibutyag nga adunay pagkunhod nga 10 porsyento sa gidaghanon sa krimen sa nasod gikan sa 2011 ngadto 2012 sama sa kidnapping-for-ransom cases nga mikunhod gikan sa 25 ka mga kaso sa 2011 ngadto sa 11 ka mga kaso sa 2012 ug mas labaw pa gyud nga pagkunhod sa milabayng katuigan sama sa tuig 2009 gikan sa 35 ngadto 21 sa tuig 2010, 11 sa 2011, ug unom sa 2012.

Matud pa niya nga aduna usab pagkunhod sa kidnapping-for-ransom cases, gikan sa 25 ka mga kaso niadtong 2009, lima lamang ang sa tuig 2012 sama usab sa Mindanao ang aduna lamang lima ka mga kaso sa tuig 2012 kumpara sa napulo sa 2009.

Ang Anti-Kidnapping Group sa Philippine National Police naka-aresto og 29 ka mga indibidwal nga nalambigit sa kidnapping sa tuig 2012, ug padayon pang gihusay sa korte.

Ang AKG padayon nga mosulbad sa mga kaso sa kidnapping, pinaagi sa tulo ka mga estratehiya sama sa intelligence gathering and community awareness campaigns, tactical and strategic management of incidents, ug ang enhancement of investigation capabilities.

Sa laing bahin ang MRPO, usa usab ka ad hoc group, nga na-organisar niadtong Enero 13, 1993 human ang pagkidnap ug pagpatay sa usa ka 15 anyos nga si Charlene Sy.

Sulod sa 20 ka tuig, ang MRPO nagsilbi isip support group ngadto sa mga biktima ug sa mga pamilya niini, mitabang sa kapolisan ug sa justice department sa pag-imbestigar ug pagpasaka ug mga kaso sa korte. Usa sa mga kaso mao ang kaso nila Charlene Sy ug Coca Cola executive Betti Chua ug ang prosekusyo ug pagkapreso sa mga kidnapers ni Jacky Rowena Tiu human sa nuybe ka tuig nga court battle.

Sumala sa MRPO, sa kasamtangan 57 ka mga kaso na ang nagmalamposon ug adunay 160 ka mga nasentensyahan og life sentences human nga giwala ang death penalty, ug 20 ka mga kaso sa kidnapping-for-ranson ang padayon pa sa korte. (RER/SDR/PIA-Surigao del Norte)