PIA News Service - Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Liga ng mga Barangay in Butuan City to fast track construction of “Liga College”

By Robert E. Roperos

BUTUAN CITY, March 27 (PIA)
-- In preparation for the opening of classes for school year 2012-2013, the Liga ng mga Barangay of this city is fast tracking the construction of the two-building Liga College which is expected to be finished this summer.

The Liga College which is constructed in a two-hectare lot in Barangay Pigdaulan here was established because of the initiatives of the 86 barangays in the city through the Liga ng mga Barangay headed by its President, Brgy. Capt. Nestor Amora of Brgy. Banza.

The project is also supported by the city government through Mayor Ferdinand Amante, Jr. who approved the allocation of some P2 million for its construction.

Accordingly, the fund comes from the 20 percent of the city’s economic development fund. Last year, said project was also allocated with some P1.1 million from the Community Development Assistance Fund (CDAF) of the city last year, while P1.5 million was allocated this year of the same assistance fund.

Meanwhile, Abante Mindanao (ABAMIN) Party-list Representative Maximo Rodriguez has also extended some P1 million when the latter visited the city early this year.

It was learned that business and entrepreneurship courses will be initially offered by the school this coming school year to mold young businessmen and entrepreneurs of the city.

The Liga College is the first institution in the country established through a Liga ng Barangay. It aims to help poor but deserving students to receive college education with scholarship grants given to those who will qualify. In an early interview with a local radio station here, Brgy. Capt. Amora said the school will offer scholarship to more than 600 students in the city.

This is one of the priority projects of the Liga ng mga Barangay here in support to the Social Development Agenda on Education, as embodied in the Regional Development Plan of Caraga Region. (PIA-Caraga)

.
DSWD allocates P9.8M for 4Ps beneficiaries in Bislig City

By Robert E. Roperos

BUTUAN CITY, March 27 (PIA)
–- The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) allotted some P9.8 million for the recipients of the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) in Bislig City.

Stella Marie Barcelon, spokesperson of the 4Ps from DSWD-Caraga, said that this is in response to the directives of President Benigno S. Aquino III to strengthen the program to mitigate poverty in the region.

Barcelon said this is the first release of the cash in the said area, where a total of 4,304 household beneficiaries will be able to receive assistance.

She added that beneficiaries were already informed of this and that they can now withdraw their money over the counter at the nearest Land Bank of the Philippines (LBP) in their area.

In a related development, some 165 beneficiaries under the sustainable livelihood program of DSWD-Caraga in San Luis, Agusan del Sur were able to receive their cash assistance recently.

According to Rey Serdeña, DSWD-Caraga chief of Livelihood Unit, around P900,000 worth of check was already turned over to beneficiaries composed of eight groups coming from the different barangays of the said municipality in Agusan del Sur.

Serdeña said the livelihood assistance will give opportunity to the beneficiaries in the area to uplift their economic condition as DSWD-Caraga is monitoring them on how are they going to use the cash assistance for their livelihood.

According to DSWD, the sustainable livelihood program is part of the agency’s convergence program for poverty reduction. It is a three-year program (2011-2013) which provides entrepreneurial capacity building for all Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) beneficiaries. The program offers two tracks of assistance namely: Self-Employment Assistance-Kaunlaran (SEA-K) and Guaranteed Employment.

SEA-K is DWSD’s comprehensive approach and investment in social capital towards poverty alleviation which aims to provide poor and disadvantaged sector of the society with timely access to credit and development opportunities.

Meanwhile, the guaranteed employment program is considered as exit strategy for the beneficiaries from welfare assistance to development-oriented support. (PIA-Caraga)

.
Countdown to the 8th Governor’s Cup starts

AGUSAN DEL SUR, Mar. 27 (PIA)
-- The countdown for the 8th Governor’s Cup began last Thursday.

Except during election year, the Governor's Cup is an annually held basketball competition during summer breaks. It is participated by students, 18 years old and below, in the 13 municipalities and the lone city of Bayugan in the province of Agusan del Sur.

According to Sangguniang Panlalawigan member Samuel Tortor, this year’s Governor’s Cup will have some changes because every player from the 14 teams province-wide will be given the chance to play.

“Together with our technical team, we in the executive committee have agreed that every quarter of each game, only five players will finish the quarter, then another set of five players for the second quarter and another set of five players for the third. Meaning, there will be 15 players that will play from first to third quarter, and in the fourth, the team coach can already select from any players who will play, with substitution,” Tortor said.

He also added that this year’s contest will be more exciting because Gov. Adolph Edward Plaza has instructed for a raffle draw after the games.

According to Provincial Sports coordinator Danilo Garcia, all teams in this year’s Governor’s Cup will have no import players. All players, 18 years old below, must be residents of Agusan del Sur.

“This time, we will strictly implement the rules during the screening, so that there will be no arguments while the governor’s cup is on-going,” Garcia said.

According to Tortor, the 8th Governor’s Cup will start on April 16, “rain or shine.”

If it rains, the cheering competition will go on at the D.O. Plaza Sports Complex while the basketball will be played in San Francisco gymnasium. The selection of the Miss Governor’s Cup 2012 will also take place at the D.O. Plaza Sports complex.

“We have set aside a budget of P8 Million for the contest, and that will include the prizes for Miss Governor’s Cup 2012, cheer dance competition and the prizes for the basketball competition. Governor Plaza will also select well fit players to become this year’s scholars,” Tortor said. (DMS/PIA-Agusan del Sur)

.
Consumer watch team to discuss prevailing issues

AGUSAN DEL SUR, March 27 (PIA)
-- The Pagpakabana sa Katungod sa Konsumador sa Agusan del Sur (PAKKADS), formerly called consumers’ watch team, will convene on March 28 to discuss various issues affecting consumers.

According to Senior Trade and Industry specialist Cerila Inson of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), the Agusan del Sur Electric Cooperative will be discussing issues that affects power, including the upgrading of their facilities and the occurrence of black-outs that hamper the operations of private, business and government sector without prior notices.

The San Francisco Water District will also talk about issues that affect water distribution and the proposed increase in water charges, while the Municipal Agriculture Office of San Francisco town will also discuss the supply of agricultural products, including oil and sugar.

DTI, on the other hand, will present prevailing issues and their actions on basic necessities, prices of commodities and construction/ electrical materials.

“It has been noted by our consumers including the business sector that because of unpredicted climate, prices of rice and other basic necessities and commodities are unstable. It is therefore timely that we sit down and discuss these issues directly with the concerned organizations and agencies so that we can formulate programs and activities that can help caution the consumers and give advises to the business sector if necessary,” Rev. Solomon Bilaoen, President of PAKKADS said.

Last year, PAKKADS, in partnership with municipal local government units, has come up with billboards posted at the entrance of public markets in some municipalities, where suggested retail prices of basic necessities and commodities are posted and are updated daily as guide for the consuming public.

Inspection of weigh scales were also conducted by the group from time to time in order to protect the consumers from cheating done by some business establishments. Strict posting of prices in stores were also pushed in order that consumers will be guided of the prices of commodities while advocacy on consumers’ rights were constant using the media to educate consumers of their rights. (DS/RER/PIA-Agusan del Sur)

.
Cebuano news: First Division Reading Encampment Gipahigayon

SURIGAO DEL NORTE, Mar. 27 (PIA)
-– Malamposon nga gipahigayon ang duha ka adlaw nga Reading Encampment uban sa temang “Reading: Open Doors to Adventures, Realities and Opportunities” niadtong Marso 24 sa Tubod Central Elementary School ug Marso 25, 2012 didto sa Sison Central Elementary School.

Ang maong kalihukan naglangkob sa Speling Bee alang sa Grade I ug 1st year High School, Poem Reading sa Grade II ug 2nd year High School, Bookmark Making sa Grade III, Reading Trivia sa Grade IV, Oral Story Interpretations sa Grade V ug 3rd year High School ug Book Review sa Grade VI ug 4th year High School.

Sa mensahe ni Vice Governor Arturo Carlos Egay, Jr. , siya nalipay og dako ug iyang gidayeg si Surigao del Norte Schools Division Superintendent Evelyn Fetalvero sa pagsanong niini sa awhag ni Governor Sol Matugas nga maglusad og sama niining maong kalihukan aron madasig ang mga kabataan sa pagbasa, kay ang pagbasa usa ka lig-on nga pundasyon aron ang mga kabatan-onan, mga estudyante magmalamposon sa ilang pagtungha. (Provincial Information Center/PIA-Surigao del Norte)

.
Cebuano news: Panagtigum sa Sand ug Gravel Permittees gipahigayon

SURIGAO CITY, Mar. 27 (PIA)
–- Gipahigayon ang panagtigum sa mga sand ug gravel permittees bag-ohay pa lamang didto sa opisina ni Governor Sol Matugas sa Capitol Compound, Surigao City.

Ang maong panagtigum gitambongan nila Ivony Dumadag ang hepe sa Provincial Environment Office, Engr. Elmer Tecson sa City Environment Office ug San Francisco mayor Simplicia Bacol mga Barangay Councilor sa Brgy. Ipil ug mokabat 20 ka mga sand ang gravel permittees sa lungsod sa San Fancisco ug syudad sa Surigao.

Atol sa maong panagtigum gipasabot ang mga permittees sa ilang mga responsibilidad ug gibutyag usab ang kabahin na Proposed Rehabilitation ug Profiling Project nga resulta sa nahitabong panagtigum sa multi-sectoral team nga naglangkob sa PEMO, CEMO,PEO, MGB, DENR, NIA ug mga LGUs sa Brgy. Anao-aon, Ipil ug Danao niadtong nilabayng tuig bulan sa Nobyembre.

Tumong ug tinguha sa maong proyekto mao ang pag establisar og baseline data alang sa future issuances sa sand ang gravel permit sa area sa Anao-aon River, pag determinar sa status ug profile sa Anao-aon River aron ma-establisar ang detalye sa design sa pagrehabilitate sa maong river ug aron makita ang usa (1) ka kilometro nga ginadili nga distansya gikan sa Anao-aon Bridge ug NIA Dams ngadto sa gitugot nga extraction zone along Anao-aon River. (Provincial Information Center/PIA-Surigao del Norte)