#AngBagongPIA


PIA News Service - Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2010

Butuan LGU to set up Science High School

BUTUAN CITY – The local government unit in this city is “very keen” on putting up a science high school in the locality.

This was recently announced by Butuan City Vice Mayor Lawrence Lemuel “Law” Fortun, before a large audience of city schools division officials, educators, barangay officials, parents and students who attended the 15th Division Schools Press Conference, held at Obrero Elementary School recently.

Vice Mayor Fortun, who came with the city council’s education committee chair Hon. Erwin Dano; has represented Butuan City Mayor Ferdinand M. Amante as the guest of honor and speaker on the said gathering, whom he said was attending to “some equally very important concerns that demands his attention” at his office.

Among the “good news” though, which he had announced before reading the mayor’s message for the occasion, was the earnest planning of the local government which is underway to put up a branch of the Philippine Science High School here in the city.

He said that among the requirements of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) for the granting of such is a 5-hectare property donation for such purpose. He added that this is among the concerns being worked out by the city government for when this will be realized, qualified high school students here in the city or even in the region will need not go to Davao, Iligan or Manila in order to avail of such privileged studies.

He also said that the mayor may soon leave for Manila within the week, in which among his purpose of going there will be to lobby with the DOST Secretary for the realization of such plan of the city government.

Meanwhile, the vice-mayor also mentioned that two weeks ago, the mayor together with him and some city officials met with a team representative of a local investor who wanted to put up another mall in the city in order to finalize the details, and hopefully by November of this year, Fortun said, the group may hold the ground-breaking of their projected investment. The construction works may follow immediately and the project according to him is expected to be completed by November or December of 2011. The project he said may benefit a thousand workers which may also represent about a thousand families.

Another local investment in the offing, he said, is the 300-hectare banana plantation project in Brgy. Cabcabon, which may also employ hundreds of workers that can be translated into another hundreds of family beneficiaries.

The mayor, Fortun said is pre-occupied with inviting investors to pour in investments here in the city in order to generate jobs for the people. He mentioned that when the new administration assumed office in July this year, among the quandaries they had faced was the lack of employment. He cited that the even at the city hall at present, there are 6,000 applicants for the 700 vacated job orders. (Noel B. Najarro, The Butuan Star/PIA-Caraga)
 


DOH: Dengue cases in Caraga, lowest in the country

Though it seems to be rising in terms of figure compared to the previous update last month, the suspected Dengue cases in Caraga region this month depicts a downtrend, regional DOH officials said. 

The Department of Health Center for Health and Development-Caraga Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit chief Dr. Gerna Manatad during a press conference held at the DOH Caraga regional office conference room, presented to the local media its “Disease Surveillance Report” during its 40th Morbidity Week, from October 3-9, this year. It reflected the trend of a total of 2,369 suspected dengue cases which were admitted to the different disease reporting hospitals region wide from January 1 – October 8, 2010. This is a 174 % higher as compared to last year’s 853.

However, DOH 13 chief Dr. Leonita P. Gorgolon also said that during their recent top-level meeting at their national office, she came to know that Dengue cases in Caraga is the lowest so far compared with the other regions of the country. “We have no reported outbreak anywhere in the region, not even a Dengue ‘hot spot’. The only reason were noted was because of the high figures of suspected cases reported in Butuan and Surigao cities,” she said.

Butuan City consistently topped the number of reported cases (753), followed by Agusan del Sur (447), Surigao del Norte (285), Surigao City (194), Agusan del Norte (187), Bislig City (171), Surigao del Sur (164), Bayugan City (74), Cabadbaran City (43), Dinagat Islands (36) and Tandag City (15). 

Ages of the victims of this mosquito-borne disease ranged from less than 2 months to 84 years old. Majority of the cases were males which made up 52 % of the victims. Forty-two percent of the cases belonged to 0-10 years age group. Eight (8) were recorded to have died; Cabdbaran city (1), Magallanes, Agusan del Norte (1), San Francisco, Surigao del Norte (1), Surigao City (2), Del Carmen, Surigao del Norte (1), Malimono, Surigao del Norte (1) and Basyugan City (1).

Of the eighty-six barangays in Butuan City, Brgy. Libertad topped with the most number of cases at (95), followed by Brgy. San Vicente (36), Brgys. Ampayon and Villakananga (28), Brgy. Doongan (23), Brgy. Ambago (20), Brgy. Jose Rizal (19), Brgys. Agusan Pequeno and Obrero (15), Brgy. Baan (14), Brgy. 14 (12), Brgys. Lumbucan, Golden Ribbon and Holy Redeemer (11) and Brgy. Riverside with (12). The cases on the other barangays are in single digits ranging from 1 to 8 cases.  
.
Gorgolon said that appropriate measures were continuously taken and implemented by their department with the cooperation of the local government units to contain the spread if not eliminate the disease. Among these measures, Gorgolon said, is the provision of chemically-treated curtains in the public schools which can kill or eliminate mosquitoes.  

The other diseases focused now by the DOH as discussed during the same forum were what they termed as “WILD” or the “W-aterborne Diseases (which are Cholera, hepatitis A and Typhoid), I-nfluenza, L-eptospirosis and D-engue” hence for the sake of recall, they called their campaign “Mag-ingat Sa WILD” (Beware of the WILD).

Other accomplished big projects of the regional DOH also announced by Director Gorgolon, were the blessing of the recently finished birthing facilities of the Nasipit District Hospital, the blessing and the opening of the 8-million Regional Drug Treatment and Rehabilitation Center (Phase 1) at Surigao City in October 15 and the 35-Million Siargao District Hospital, at Siargao Island, Surigao del Norte in October 27.
(Noel B. Najarro, The Butuan Star/PIA-Caraga)  


Local police stations get bigger share for operations under new 15:85 PNP fund scheme
 
Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse M. Robredo today said that Philippine National Police provincial and field offices all over the country will now have more funds to support their operational expenses as the PNP already has started to allocate funds to local police stations based on a “15:85” fund distribution scheme.
 
Robredo said the 15:85 distribution ratio refers to the allocation of 15% of net distributable funds for the Police Regional Offices (PROs) and 85% to field units or to the Police Provincial Offices (PPOs) and police stations.
 
Under this modified fund scheme, the Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE) funds from the Regional Police Headquarters are simultaneously distributed to PPOs and local police stations, he said.
 
The MOOE funds that are now automatically transferred to police stations include the Napolcom-directed police activities or NDPA, travel, repair or vehicles, repair of facilities and Gender and Development Funds.
 
“This will significantly increase the monthly operating fund of local police stations and enable them to more effectively prevent crimes and maintain peace and order in the communities,” the DILG Secretary said.
 
He also said that this new scheme brought about a marked improvement of an average of 28% in the fund allocation per policeman manning the police station, or from P740.00 in July this year to P950.00 for the month of September.
 
At the same time, Robredo also directed the posting of the details of the PNP fund distribution per region in the DILG website to ensure transparency and to inform police and field stations as well as the public about this new policy.
 
Earlier, the DILG Chief directed PNP chief, Director General Raul Bacalzo to reform and maximize the allowable funds for distribution to local police stations. (DILG/PIA-Caraga)


CAFGU member shot to death

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – An off-duty Citizens Armed Geographical Unit (CAFGU) while on his way to his farm was shot to death by New People’s Army (NPA) at Kinayag Creek, Brgy Mahagsay, San Luis, Agusan del Sur last 12 October 2010 about 09:30 O’clock in the morning.

Joel M Napongahan a 48 year old member of CAFGU of Mahagsay Patrol Base under 23rd Infantry Battalion sustained 5 gunshot wounds at different parts of his body that caused his instantaneous death.

“These criminals evidently perpetrated human rights abuses and they shall be condemned,” said Major Noli P Kanashiro, Spokesperson of 4th Infantry Division, Philippine Army.

Maj Kanashiro also cited some related felonies committed by the communist terrorists recently in Region X and in Caraga Region: the killing of a certain Mr Sunny Antong, a 33-year-old resident of Cabadbaran, ADS who was terribly mauled and shot to death last September 23, 2010; the slaying of Manuel Fajardo a village chief of Tumaras, Kibawe Town, Bukidnon recently on Sunday; and, the Robbing and burning of buses owned by Surigao Development Corporation (SUDECOR).

The CPP/NPA grossly violated the right to life especially against summary executions embedded in Section 4 Article 2 Part 3 of the Comprehensive Agreement on the Respect of Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law (CARHRIHL).

He also stressed that the 4ID is hoping for the Commission on Human Rights and other human rights group will look into the series of extra-judicial killings against civilians. 

Currently, the 4ID is conducting massive security operations to bring the perpetrators to the bar of justice and offering assistance to victims' relatives to file criminal cases as well as complaints of human rights violations against CPP-NPA-NDF members who are behind the series of killings and destruction of properties. (4th Infantry (Diamond) Division, Philippine Army/PIA-Caraga)
.
.
Dengue cases in Caraga up by 174%, Butuan on top of the list

BUTUAN CITY - A total of 2,369 dengue cases were admitted in different hospitals in Caraga region from January to October 8, 2010.

The figure is 174% higher compared in 2009 wherein, DOH Caraga records showed only 853 cases in same period.

Dr. Leonita Gorgolon, Regional Director of DOH Caraga revealed, eight (8) have died, one in Cabadbaran and Magallanes in Agusan del Norte, another in San Francisco, Agusan del Sur, Del Carmen and Malimono in Surigao del Sur, Bayugan City and two in Surigao City.

Butuan City currently remains the top area with most dengue cases at 753 but with zero fatalities, followed by Agusan del Sur with 447 cases, Surigao del Norte with 285 cases and 3 fatalities, Surigao City has 194 cases with two deaths, Agusan del Norte with 187 cases with 1 reported death in the municipality of Magallanes, Bislig City with 171 cases, Surigao del Sur having 164 cases, Bayugan City with 74 cases and one fatality, Cabadbaran City with 43 cases and one fatality, Dinagat Islands Province with 36 cases while Tandag is at lowest with only 15 cases.

“The figure in Butuan City and Surigao City was quite alarming already,” said DOH Regional Director Gorgolon as dengue cases in said areas continue to go up despite actions undertaken by local government officials in the fight against the mosquito-borne disease.

 Dr. Gorgolon stressed out the cleaning of the surroundings and destroying mosquito breeding grounds, like used tires, empty cans, flower vase and other areas that collect water as the most effective means of preventing dengue.

She assured the public that DOH Caraga is closely monitoring the situation and has been implementing anti-dengue measures.

“Dengue has become an epidemic. It is very dangerous as it can cause death, therefore we have to take drastic action to stop the spread of dengue fever and we will be carrying out this campaign on a big scale, but the people’s involvement is important,” added Dr. Gorgolon.

DOH Caraga urged all LGU’s to intensify its campaign through DOH’s 4-S strategy which is the Search and destroy, Self-protective measures, Seek early treatment, and Say no to indiscriminate fogging.

The public were likewise urged to observe the D.E.N.G.U.E. strategy to avoid an increase in the number of dengue related deaths where D stands for Daily monitoring of patient’s status, E for encouraging intake of oral fluids like oresol, water, or juices, N for noting dengue warning signs like persistent vomiting and bleeding, G for Giving paracetamol for fever and not aspirin, as it induces bleeding, U for Using mosquito nets, and E for Early consultation when warning signs appear. (Jocelyn E. Morano, Radyo ng Bayan Butuan/PIA-Caraga)