PIA News Service - Thursday, July 29, 2010

NYC to hold 8th National Youth Parliament

By Jennifer P. Gaitano

BUTUAN CITY – The National Youth Commission (NYC) will hold the 8th National Youth Parliament (NYP) come November 5-8, 2010 at Almont Hotel’s Inland Resort here. 

Mr. Mohammad Hanny M. Camid, NYC Commissioner representing Mindanao bared that a total of 210 participants composed of 160 youth leaders, 34 Sangguniang Kabataan, and 16 UNICEF representatives are expected to participate in the said event.

Ms. Cristabeth Madrigal, NYC Presidential Staff Officer also said that the main goal of NYP is to develop youth advocate who organize networks effectively advocating, lobbying, and influencing decision of policy makers in the creation of a supportive and sustainable environment for the total development of the young people.

“Thru the 8th NYP, we intend to influence policy makers in adopting the NYP agenda; increase the participation of the Youth Parliamentarians in both national and local advocacy; motivate and empower youth advocates; and improve the management and support system of NYP,” Madrigal added.

Meanwhile, NYC also needs the help and assistance coming form the local government units, regional line agencies, and private stakeholders to make this event more fruitful.

With this move to increase the knowledge of the youth in policy making, NYC is encouraging the public to support this activity for the youth’s welfare and development. 

It was also learned that NYP will gather youth leaders in the country to discuss the prevailing issues affecting them, to serve as a venue for the youth to craft policy recommendations in the pursuit of advancing youth concerns. (PIA-Caraga)

.
NPAs Attacked; 1 killed, 2 held hostage, vehicles burned

One militia man was killed, 2 were held hostages, a jeepney and a hauler truck were burned by armed groups believed to be members of the New People’s Army who waged an attack on two separate occasions in the province of Surigao del Sur yesterday morning.

Reports reaching Camp Rafael C. Rodriguez from Surigao del Sur Police Provincial Office mentioned that as of 6:00 A.M. yesterday, a patrol base of the 23rd Infantry Battalion Philippine Army Civilian Active Auxiliary (CAA) headed by a certain Corporal Solaiman P. Blain stationed at Brgy. San Isidro, Lianga, Surigao del Sur was harassed by an undetermined number of rebels led by an unknown commander.

The patrol base defenders resisted and repulsed the attacking group after an hour of firefight which made the attackers withdrew towards the northeast direction.

One CAA member, however, identified as a certain Rey C. Ranque was reportedly killed in action during the encounter. The base defenders also believed that they had been able to inflict casualties on the side of the enemy.

On another incident, the service vehicle No. 6 of the Surigao Development Corporation (SUDECOR) driven by a certain Rony Recalde boarded by Engr. Henry Fernandez, a mechanic superintendent of the said logging firm was flagged down by an undetermined number of armed group believed to be NPA rebels. The group was reportedly led by a certain alias Winston, the team leader of the Sentro de Grabidad (SDG) Platoon 1 of the Guerilla Front 14 of the Northeastern Mindanao Revolutionary Committee (NEMRC) at 10:00 in the morning yesterday at the vicinity of Kilometer 16, SUDECOR Logging Area, Sitio Gacub, Brgy. Hinapuyan, municipality of Carmen in Surigao del Sur.

The said service vehicle and another hauler truck hired by Barangay Captain Rony Iligan of Brgy. Hinapuyan were also reportedly torched by the rebels. However, Recalde and Fernandez were released at 11:30 yesterday morning before leaving the area.

The pursuing elements of the special civilian active auxiliary (SCAA), who responded to the incident, caught up with the fleeing rebels some few kilometers from the burning site, still in the area of Brgy. Hinapuyan, which resulted to an ensuing ten-minute firefight.

No reported casualties from either side were reported after the said encounter.

Municipal police stations of both towns of Lianga and Carmen, all of Surigao del Sur are now conducting investigations on the incidents which had happened under their areas of responsibility in coordination with the Philippine Army troopers assigned within their respective areas. (Noel B. Najarro, Butuan Star/PIA-Caraga)
.
.

Army troops repulse NPA attack in Surigao del Sur

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – SCAA elements of Surigao Development Corporation (SUDECOR) based in Lawaan Post, Placa Area, Sitio Gacub, Brgy Hinapuyan, Carmen, Surigao del Sur repulsed an attack by undetermined number of local terrorists (NPAs) at about 11:20 in the morning of July 28, Wednesday. The firefight lasted for about 30 minutes with no casualties on the government side and 1 NPA is believed to be killed and several others wounded.  

“The vigilance of our troops and cooperation of the residents nearby helped repulse the attack. This is a good example of the populace and the military working hand-in-hand to achieve peace,” emphasized LtCol Jose Emmanuel Mariano, Commander of 36th Infantry Battalion.

Prior to the attack, at about 9:30 in the morning, one (1) Willy’s jeep and one (1) Isuzu forward truck used by SUDECOR was burned by more or less 15 local terrorists (NPAs) with two (2) female members at Tugupon, Sitio Gacub, Hinapuyan which is about 8 kilometers away from Lawaan Post.  

SUDECOR is a logging company famous for its sustainable forest management practices which is evaluated and validated by foreign-assisted projects, forestry and environmental experts. SUDECOR is known for not giving in to the extortion demands of these lawless elements.

Major General Mario F Chan, AFP, Commander of the 4th Infantry Division, said, “The NPAs have already felt the hardships of living on the run and weakening mass base support as a result of the Diamond Trooper’s relentless combat operations complemented with focused peace and development initiatives.” (LTC TRIUMPH DOMINIC G BAGAIPO (OS) PA, 4th CMO Bn, 4ID, PA/ PIA-Caraga)