Pages

Thursday, 21 May 2026

Gov’t peace campaign gains ground as key rebel leaders fall in Surigao Sur

By Nida Grace P. Barcena

TANDAG CITY, Surigao del Sur (PIA)  Government forces continue to intensify peace and security operations in Surigao del Sur, following a series of successful military actions that resulted in the neutralization and capture of key members of communist terrorist groups (CTGs) in the province. 

The sustained anti-insurgency campaign supports the peace and development agenda of the administration of Ferdinand Marcos Jr., which aims to end local armed conflict, protect vulnerable communities, and promote lasting peace and inclusive development in conflict-affected areas nationwide. 

On May 11, joint operating troops from the 75th Infantry Battalion and the 3rd Special Forces Battalion, under the operational control of the 401st Infantry Brigade of the Philippine Army, engaged members of the CTG in an armed encounter in Sitio Casting, Barangay Bayan, Marihatag, Surigao del Sur. 

The operation resulted in the neutralization of Edilberto Daval, also known by his aliases ‘Bong, Waco, and Bill,’ who was identified by the military as the second deputy secretary and commanding officer of the Regional Operations Command (ROC) of the North Eastern Mindanao Regional Committee (NEMRC). Another CTG member, identified as Jaymark Bada Lamela alias ‘Miggy/Migz,’ was captured during the encounter. 

Government troops also recovered firearms, ammunition, and other war materials from the encounter site.

According to Colonel Glenn Joy U. Aynera, acting commander of the 401st Infantry Brigade, the successful operation reflects the continued weakening of the CTG’s leadership structure and operational capability in the Caraga region.

He emphasized that the accomplishment demonstrates the government’s unwavering commitment to safeguarding communities, preserving public safety, and sustaining peace efforts in areas previously affected by insurgency activities. 

In a press release issued by the 401st Infantry Brigade, the military reported that the successful operation also prompted a significant visit from Major General Marion T. Angcao, Commander of the 4th Infantry (Diamond) Division, to the 401st Infantry Brigade headquarters on May 12. 

The visit marked the first unit that Angcao visited during his stint as Division Commander, underscoring the military leadership’s recognition of the recent operational accomplishment in Marihatag, Surigao del Sur.

During the press conference at the brigade headquarters, military officials highlighted the significance of the successful operation, reaffirming the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ commitment to sustaining peace, security, and stability of the region through intensified operations against remaining CTG elements. 

“Stay focused on the mission, maintain constant readiness, strengthen coordination with local government, enforce peace and build lasting peace,” Angcao said, as quoted in the 401st Infantry Brigade press statement.

The 4ID commander also commended the soldiers for their dedication and reminded them to remain steadfast in protecting communities and preserving peace in the Caraga Region.

Earlier, on April 17, government troops also neutralized two members of the New People’s Army (NPA), including Lucy Canda, also known by the alias ‘Luis/Madi,’ who reportedly served as finance officer of the NEMRC.

Military officials said the series of operations highlights the sustained collaboration among security forces, local government units, and national government agencies in addressing insurgency, while ensuring the safety and welfare of residents. 

With intensified security operations and strengthened community-based peace programs, government forces remain optimistic that Surigao del Sur will continue moving toward lasting peace, stability, and sustainable development for future generations. (NGPB, PIA Surigao del Sur)